ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should ebook users have any rights?

<< < (3/5) > >>

merkin:
These restrictions and the fact they want to charge as much as a real book stops me buying an e-reader.

Renegade:
These restrictions and the fact they want to charge as much as a real book stops me buying an e-reader.
-merkin (March 01, 2011, 02:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think you're in good company there. I've bought ebooks, but the ones I buy generally aren't destroyed by DRM. (Apress etc.)

rxantos:
I see a problem here. The rights of the consumers vs the rights of the publishers.

A consumer should be able to keep whatever they own. Including lending and selling it to someone else. Just like a real book.

A publisher should be able to make sure that the book is only read by one person at a time. Just as a real book.

The only way to enforce the publisher/autor rights is by DRM. The only way to enforce the consumer rights is by not having DRM.

At the end. If up to the consumer to decide if they want to do business with someone that threats them as a potential criminal instead of a customer.

A pity we do not have a usable alternative in the case of airports. Keep your beard shave otherwise you have 90% more probability to end up in the "random" special checks. I know, I had to fly 20 times over a year and got a 18/20 average on the random check list :).

jaden:
Well, yes.  But my question was the kindle apps.  You know, for the PC, iPhone, Android... do they have the same sort of hooks in there?  Is it the Kindle as an e-book platform, or the Kindle as a hardware platform?
-wraith808 (February 28, 2011, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

That I don't know.

Renegade:
At the end. If up to the consumer to decide if they want to do business with someone that threats them as a potential criminal instead of a customer.
-rxantos (March 01, 2011, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is the problem - they are all beginning to treat customers like criminals. Beginning of a DVD? FBI warning... etc. etc.

Soon, there will be no choice. The "customer as criminal" is becoming the norm.

A pity we do not have a usable alternative in the case of airports. Keep your beard shave otherwise you have 90% more probability to end up in the "random" special checks. I know, I had to fly 20 times over a year and got a 18/20 average on the random check list :).
-rxantos (March 01, 2011, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Airports are pretty much beyond redemption now. If you've ever flown in the developing or 3rd world, it's actually a much better experience. They have security, but it's not like everyone is treated like a terrorist to start with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version