ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Gmail accidentally resets some accounts

<< < (4/5) > >>

wraith808:
Very timely... I'm actually in the process of moving my email server over to Gmail and getting rid of running my own email server.

I'll still be moving over to Google Apps there anyways. I always maintain local copies, so as long as the basics work, I'll be fine.
-Renegade (February 28, 2011, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Local copies of the e-mails via POP access?  What about the documents?  And the calendars?  There's a big focus on e-mail from this incident- but the cloud is much more than e-mail...

timns:
Ahhh I *knew* my paranoia about keeping everything local was in fact perfect sanity  :tease:

Renegade:
Very timely... I'm actually in the process of moving my email server over to Gmail and getting rid of running my own email server.

I'll still be moving over to Google Apps there anyways. I always maintain local copies, so as long as the basics work, I'll be fine.
-Renegade (February 28, 2011, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Local copies of the e-mails via POP access?  What about the documents?  And the calendars?  There's a big focus on e-mail from this incident- but the cloud is much more than e-mail...
-wraith808 (February 28, 2011, 08:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I won't be using any other applications. MS Office can't be replaced by a web application. I might dabble, but not with anything important, for reasons seen above. :)

wraith808:
A good article about the happy medium between "don't trust the cloud", and CYA...

http://gigaom.com/collaboration/be-prepared-when-the-cloud-fails/

wraith808:
An article on some ways to back up your gmail on lifehacker.

And on a interesting note about the actual incident, no e-mails were lost- they are being restored from tape

Now, cue the privacy advocates, i.e. what does that mean when you *actually* delete an e-mail?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version