ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (24/35) > >>

Armando:
The "home" page might be important... However, maybe it's just me, but I very rarely see/use it.
I'm mostly in the forum, and I navigate from there... My home page "is" the forum -- especially since I can access everything from the forum. I wonder about others...
-Armando (March 03, 2011, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

the idea of changing the home page is for new visitors. I think it would be good to make it more dynamic, or at least to lead people more towards the software, and the forum
-tomos (March 03, 2011, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think it took me a few weeks to realise there was even a "Home" page here, when I first registered ! But sure, I understand that point of view. A home/Start page is important. But only if really gives the user something important that can't be found on other pages.

A question : do most visitors enter DC by the front door...? As we all know a website isn't like a house. You can usually "visit it" from many different pages, especially when arriving from a search engine.

techidave:
I rarely look at the home page.  I have booked marked the forum>unread posts to enter by.  I guess because the other pages have little that interests me. :eusa_boohoo:

tomos:
A question : do most visitors enter DC by the front door...? As we all know a website isn't like a house. You can usually "visit it" from many different pages, especially when arriving from a search engine.
-Armando (March 03, 2011, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

good question...

I rarely look at the home page.  I have booked marked the forum>unread posts to enter by.  I guess because the other pages have little that interests me. :eusa_boohoo:
-techidave (March 04, 2011, 05:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I reckon that's typical for forum users.
Related: I think guests should be able to see a comprehensive list of recent posts - currently they can only see a handful (down at the bottom of the page at that) so they dont get a full impression of whats going on here (and probably often move on because of that)

Stoic Joker:
Given the tendency of search engines to shred a site looking for your particular set of key words, I doubt I ever hit the main page of a site more than 10% of the time.

Target:
Despite this thread's persistance I still can't see that it's produced anything solid (no doubt the OP is chortling smugly to himself)

Other than a general perception that the look and feel of the site hasn't changed for some time so far no one has come up with a single thing that 'needs to be fixed', or with some 'must have' functionality that we currently don't have.

That's not to say that there aren't things that might be done better, but changing things in order to maintain an illusion of progress is pointless (don't forget that the lions share of the work involved in doing any changes will fall to just a couple of people).  

I think the idea of a poll/survey is a good one - lets drag this out into the sunlight and see whether or not there's really an issue here (after all, it really is an issue for the community to decide).  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version