ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (15/35) > >>

timns:
Why don't we start by compiling such a list, let's say,by Day 2? Or a tangible action plan to improve the site (excluding software/site maintenance)? Or a list of new major apps (> 2000 downloads) that have been released since the last fundraiser, etc.?
-lotusblossom
--- End quote ---

This harks back to another recent thread about making more of the software that is available, and I believe app103 will be working on this as part of the fundraiser. It gets a hearty +1 from me since I would love to see a page where one can see just how much software is available on this site by now. At the moment I think the landing page of DC is still hiding too much of its light under a bushel.  8)

lotusrootstarch:
Why don't we start by compiling such a list, let's say,by Day 2? Or a tangible action plan to improve the site (excluding software/site maintenance)? Or a list of new major apps (> 2000 downloads) that have been released since the last fundraiser, etc.?
-lotusblossom
--- End quote ---

This harks back to another recent thread about making more of the software that is available, and I believe app103 will be working on this as part of the fundraiser. It gets a hearty +1 from me since I would love to see a page where one can see just how much software is available on this site by now. At the moment I think the landing page of DC is still hiding too much of its light under a bushel.  8)
-timns (February 28, 2011, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Worth a shot. +1 from me as well.

wraith808:
mate my case is awfully clear throughout the thread, if you cant see my points now then I'm really not sure what I can do about it. To me u guys seems to be nailing on this username/identity issue lol, to me such diversion tactics only add to the confusion and serve no one any good.
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, to many of us it's clear as mud.  And those people you seem to brush off/ignore, as if we're not worth your time?  Perhaps that's not the case, but it sure feels like it, especially when the only replies to any of my queries has been to say how wrong I am about where you're coming from in regards to your contribution, even though I never really called it into question.
* wraith808 shrugs

AndyM:
Don't you feel the resistance to constructive criticism?
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
Resistance, no.  Response, yes.  Isn't that what you want from "constructive" criticism?

phitsc:
I am no long time DC member. I was not there when the site was started. I have no idea, what the initial goal or strategy was with the site nor do I know if there is one other than being a home for mouser's (and a few other's) software and the DC community mainly in the form of the forum. To be honest, that was never an important question for me and it isn't now really.

Nevertheless, I think I can see the point lotusrootstarch is trying to make. Let me be clear: Neither am I not happy with what DC is and does for me today, nor am I an expert concerning web site design or technologies. The following are just observations and ideas.

- On web sites like lifehacker, engadget, daily newspapers etc. the front page constantly changes. On DC's front page, the only thing halfway dynamic seems to be a narrow strip on the left with mostly updates of mouser's software. Why not integrate the blog into the front page? Why not integrate the latest forum activity into the front page? Use the front page to aggregate the most important, most recent additions to the site.

- Concerning software, as lotusrootstarch pointed out, DC seems to be primarily a home for mouser's software. And if this is what mouser wants, I think that is perfectly fine. But: the word 'donationcoder' could imply that it is more. E.g. it could server as a home for software developers wanting to provide their software as donationware, kind of like a open source project hosting web site for donationware. The web site would offer the required infrastructure, the donation system, forums, etc.. The software would attract the visitors.

- Everyone here seems to agree that large reviews are difficult to make and time consuming. They also get out of date quickly. Yet, they still have some value. But, why are these old reviews at the top of the Reviews page? If the mini-reviews have passed the big ones in importance, why not make the mini-reviews page better accessible? Why not integrate the latest mini-reviews into the front page as well?

- Maybe some people could be tempted to write a mini-review if they were 'paid'. Something like: every mini-review is rewarded with 10 donation-credits. Or, add a rating system for the reviews, and pay donation-credits according to how well they get rated by users.

- Maybe some people could be tempted to write a mini-review if it was easier for them to write one. E.g. if there was a template that would show what is required or expected from a mini-review. Maybe compile a list of stuff that users would like to have reviewed and let users cast votes. (Sorry, if such a list already exists ;) )

Obviously, the list of possible changes to the site, or new undertakings for the community could go on and on. The questions that need to be answered first: does mouser actually want such changes (it's his domain after all)? does the community want such changes (it's their site after all)? how important is it really to substantially grow the community? If change is wanted, ideas like the above should be discussed and questions such as the following answered: where does the site want to go? what is technically feasible? how can it be financed? does relying on donations alone make sense? how can the workload on mouser be reduced? etc.. If everyone is ok with the status quo (and I am), just clearly state as much so that lotusrootstarch can stop complaining.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version