ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (12/35) > >>

lotusrootstarch:
There are ways to bring attention to problems, and then there are other ways...
-wraith808 (February 28, 2011, 09:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yet sometimes there just aint other ways you know. Trial and error tells you.

lotusrootstarch:
Lotus: Am I reading that you have TWO accounts here? May I ask why you felt the need to hide behind this secondary account?
-Josh (February 28, 2011, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's too good to be ruined like this one...

app103:
lotusrootstarch, I think you want us to know who you are, and it wouldn't be hard for anyone to figure it out if you are being truthful about being a donating member under your other forum name,  that has participated in the first NANY, and multiple NANYs.

There are only 2 names on that very short list, and I think it would be safe to say you are not wraith808.  ;)

mouser:
This is more of a side note than anything, but lotus my experience has been that trying to predict or influence how other sites cover events is nearly universally impossible on the web.

We are living in an age where "viralness" seems to be the catchphrase and predominant phenomena around us.  That is.. we are dealing with an almost-winner-take-all chaotic system where only a few events become highlighted everywhere and most of the rest of what is created gets largely ignored -- and the deciding factors between what gets noticed and talked about vs what gets ignored -- are incredibly unpredictable and largely random.

This can be a very disconcerting feeling -- wondering why one thing is getting so much attention while another is not.

I'm trying to learn to be less bothered and more sanguine by this kind of randomness in the world, though it's not easy.  In the end the site exists to serve the needs of its participating and supporting members and it's hard to get too worked up about things that are out of our control, like what other sites decide to write up our events and how.

When you say:

I just have a inner feeling that this fundraiser is not well-timed to highlight anything and will likely make future one much less effective.
--- End quote ---

Look the economy is in tatters, it hasn't been a "good" time to have a fundraiser in two years.  But that's not the point.  Nor is the amount we raise the point.  This site isn't a coporation that has to make increasing profits or we'll go out of business.  We don't have shareholders making us do things we don't like in order to maximize profits.  We survive on the money we raise and the time and contributions of those who participate, and we adjust as needed as those factors ebb and flow.

We're having a fundraiser so we *PROUDLY* ask for the support and contributions of those who appreciate the site.  In fact we should probably get used to having these fundraisers at the same time every year, and view them as an opportunity to reach people and ask for them to be part of this experiment and improve it.

lotusrootstarch:
lol app i know u *love* to dig stuff when crap like this happens on the forum. But memberlist doesn't light up your path. Keep working... or forget about it, does it really matter? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version