ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (8/35) > >>

app103:
Most of the entries in the reviews section are way outdated, except for the first entry which was posted in 2006, the rest were all posted in or before 2007! What happened in the last 4 years in this section?
-lotusrootstarch (February 27, 2011, 09:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is a community driven site, and everything is provided by unpaid volunteer members of this community. If you, a member of this community, is going to complain, you should be prepared to also be part of that solution.

Therefore, I propose you volunteer to write a major shoot-out review, instead of just complaining that someone else hasn't volunteered to do one in quite awhile.

When you are finished, you can then volunteer to contact all your big name A-list blogger friends and see if you can get them interested enough in it to write about it. Don't have any A-list blogger friends? Well, I guess you'll have to figure out how to make some.

Then you can volunteer to hit the major social networks and post about it, reaching out to the masses on Digg, Mixx, Facebook, Twitter, Friendfeed, StumbleUpon, etc.

Then you can contact all the developers of the apps you reviewed and ask them if they would be interested in giving discounts to DC members, and maybe donate a few copies for a giveaway drawing.

If you run into any problems that you think the community can provide assistance with, make a post and ask for some help. (I'll be willing to help by contacting some of the bloggers I know, once you have finished your big review, I'll also vote it up on both Mixx and Digg, and give you a post or like on friendfeed, a tweet or retweet on twitter, and a thumbs up on StumbleUpon)

When you are finished with all that, you can work on your next complaint.

See, this is what people in this community do when they think something should be done...we shut up, roll up our sleeves and do it, instead of complaining that someone else won't volunteer to do it for us.

And an annual fundraiser is justified, as long as there are bills that need to be paid. To say we shouldn't have one is saying we should shut down the site and go away, because if we don't pay the bills, the hosting company will pull the plug on us and that is exactly what will happen to this site....it will go away. Is that what you want?

Josh:
Where is the "like" button?

lotusrootstarch:
Hehehe I'm here merely to point out the problems, look at all the responses I got here -- all pointing finger directly at me, and it's never even about me, it's about problems.

So app you made me feel very bad about myself under this username... alright I'm defeated... so what? It doesn't fix any problems I mentioned.

Ouch you guys really have no idea... 'nuff said. best of luck. cheers.  8)

Rover:
Hehehe I'm here merely to point out the problems-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Which shows you just don't get it.  The site is like the community tree house.  If you want to make a change, you need to bring some tools and some boards.  Whining and complaining aren't enough.

So app you made me feel very bad about myself under this username... alright I'm defeated... so what? It doesn't fix any problems I mentioned.

Ouch you guys really have no idea... 'nuff said. best of luck. cheers.  8)

--- End quote ---

I think DC will go on quite happily, thanks; it's the people here that make it work... not the gimmick or the quantity of In-depth reviews. 

Best of luck to you too.

wraith808:
Hehehe I'm here merely to point out the problems, look at all the responses I got here -- all pointing finger directly at me, and it's never even about me, it's about problems.

Ouch you guys really have no idea... 'nuff said. best of luck. cheers.  8)
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 06:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not pointing the finger at you... they're instead asking you to clarify your responses.  And of all the people asking that you clarify responses (to something other than just reviews, which seems to be the only sticking point, and one easily overcome if you write some if you're that passionate about it) you don't answer.  The fact that your responses are picked and chosen seems disingenuous to me at least.  No one's pointing a finger as you say... I explicitly said that in my last post.  But got no response to the questions raised.

I think app put it best:
This is a community driven site, and everything is provided by unpaid volunteer members of this community. If you, a member of this community, is going to complain, you should be prepared to also be part of that solution.

Therefore, I propose you volunteer to write a major shoot-out review, instead of just complaining that someone else hasn't volunteered to do one in quite awhile.

When you are finished, you can then volunteer to contact all your big name A-list blogger friends and see if you can get them interested enough in it to write about it. Don't have any A-list blogger friends? Well, I guess you'll have to figure out how to make some.

Then you can volunteer to hit the major social networks and post about it, reaching out to the masses on Digg, Mixx, Facebook, Twitter, Friendfeed, StumbleUpon, etc.

Then you can contact all the developers of the apps you reviewed and ask them if they would be interested in giving discounts to DC members, and maybe donate a few copies for a giveaway drawing.

If you run into any problems that you think the community can provide assistance with, make a post and ask for some help. (I'll be willing to help by contacting some of the bloggers I know, once you have finished your big review, I'll also vote it up on both Mixx and Digg, and give you a post or like on friendfeed, a tweet or retweet on twitter, and a thumbs up on StumbleUpon)

When you are finished with all that, you can work on your next complaint.

See, this is what people in this community do when they think something should be done...we shut up, roll up our sleeves and do it, instead of complaining that someone else won't volunteer to do it for us.

And an annual fundraiser is justified, as long as there are bills that need to be paid. To say we shouldn't have one is saying we should shut down the site and go away, because if we don't pay the bills, the hosting company will pull the plug on us and that is exactly what will happen to this site....it will go away. Is that what you want?
-app103 (February 28, 2011, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was a succinct explanation of all of the things laid at your door to respond to in one central post.  Mouser can't do it alone.  And he does encourage people outside of the 'senior member circle' to contribute in whatever ways they can- I know from personal experience.  So are you ready to pick up your own gauntlet?  Or just slink away after a piffy 'cheers'?  Or maybe not to slink away- maybe to contribute under another name.  But your contributions under *that* name won't help to shore up your arguments; they'll go towards the reputation of *that* name while this is left to be 'blast[ed] to oblivion by a single button'.

Thoughts?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version