ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (11/35) > >>

Gwen7:
to:lotusrootstarch - i see a subtext in many of your comments. it says you have a problem with the number of non-programming things that get talked about here. also the number of members who have little interest in writing programs. because somehow it *dilutes* the site. is that what you're hinting lies at the root of this problem as you call it? :-)

wraith808:
Mouser can't do it alone.  And he does encourage people outside of the 'senior member circle' to contribute in whatever ways they can- I know from personal experience.
-wraith808 (February 28, 2011, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not in the right ways, still not... i also know from personal experience... before you joined the site m8. :)
-lotusrootstarch (February 28, 2011, 07:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's sort of the idea that I'm getting at ... would you say that sort of thing to me if you were posting under your *real* username?  You say not to focus on the username that you're using- but you're *very* deprecating.  And not in a nice way most of the time- smilies only cover up the nature of language to a point.  There's a way to be critical, but still be uplifting... and truthfully, your posts aren't it from what I've seen.  But I haven't seen *anyone* that's been here that long be that way.  If I had, it would have been a pretty sharp contrast to anyone that I've seen in my short time here (that's sarcasm, if you can't tell).  There are ways to bring attention to problems, and then there are other ways...

vlastimil:
Re Reviews -
I can see why the reviews section (full- as opposed to mini-) died a death - too much work.
-tomos (February 28, 2011, 09:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with this. In order to make a really valuable and insightful review, one would need to work with every application for literally years to really know it. I work with various programs, but I would not feel competent to write a review of for example ftp clients or text editors. It is like, I have my favorite one and ignore the others. Even if I installed the others I would be angry, because they work differently than the old one. And then there are new versions and the review article getting outdated...

Here is an idea for the review section: Who knows most about the reviewed software? Who has the biggest motivation for the review to exist? The authors. Instead of a volunteer with limited motivation and information writing the review, what if a mechanism existed that would allow the software authors to do their part? An independent review manager would only need to set the rules and grantee all the facts are straight. Much less work.

lotusrootstarch:
to:lotusrootstarch - i see a subtext in many of your comments. it says you have a problem with the number of non-programming things that get talked about here. also the number of members who have little interest in writing programs. because somehow it *dilutes* the site. is that what you're hinting lies at the root of this problem as you call it? :-)
-Gwen7 (February 28, 2011, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's bizarre. I really don't think I implied such things in my posts. How boring it is to have an all-programmer forum? :P

Josh:
Lotus: Am I reading that you have TWO accounts here? May I ask why you felt the need to hide behind this secondary account?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version