ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Shortcomings of DC and How to Improve

<< < (31/35) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'll discuss the idea with the moderators and we'll discuss a severance package for Cody should he be made redundant.-mouser (March 07, 2011, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's far too harsh a light to cast...as it's really just an "upgrade" of the current bird... (Hint: think 40s dime novel detective stories (bird means... ;))

Cody is after all rather androgynous, so it jut a matter of adding identity

Dormouse:
So, Mouser, is the proposal that you send the Cody replacement around to deserving members?
No wonder the fundraising is going so well.

Ath:
So, Mouser, is the proposal that you send the Cody replacement around to deserving members?
No wonder the fundraising is going so well.
-Dormouse (March 07, 2011, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey, you where not supposed to guess that... :o

Paul Keith:
This post though unrelated may allude to the difference in people's opinions.

I agree, DC does not need to improve plus everything has shortcomings.

I also agree that there are places where DC can be improved.

Contradictory? Yes.

However it is important to state this in order to emphasize the where and the why.

Like e-books, DC does not need to overtly focus on the design. DC has to focus on the accessibility.

Take Vanilla Forum, great forum features? Yes, but in terms of new forum technology is it as widely used as Disqus/Imageboards or Nings? No.

It doesn't mean it won't in the future but as of now, it's not.

To improve DC does not equate to "working on DC's shortcomings" in the same way making e-books cheaper does not equate to "working on the e-book's shortcomings."

As some of the commentors there revealled:

You still have to pay for the author's living.
You still have to hire the best editor for the author.
You still have to make the author into a great self-promoter.

It's the same with DC.

The best improvement is going to come from working at DC's strengths and not it's weakness.

DC will improve more when micro payments become easier to understand and achieve rather than the simply looking prettier and less Cody-ier.

DC will improve when the best and worst contributors can both achieve their maximum output whether it be making logins easier but more secure, making certain things act like or superior to a wiki or making the members more active, open and conversational than they already are while maintaining the current decorum of the forums.

Finally, DC will improve when it's software are easier to find/figure out/review and everything else that's done to make software easier to find, more appealing to download and use and ultimately more exposed to feedback both negative and positive.

Let us not accidentally create this:

DRM lowers the value of a digital good to a consumer by limiting what they can do with it. DRM gives no added value to a consumer.
--- End quote ---

..in our attempt to suggest improvements to a site and a forum that's in need of "a new version", not improvements.

lotusrootstarch:
I think the concept of releasing something new is somehow being messed up a bit too much here it borders on false advertisement to donors who might seriously expect "something new".

Take today's fundraiser release for example:
Fundraiser Day 7 - Major Software Update - CHS

While I appreciate the efforts to update the app, I'm struggling to understand (esp. after failing to find a changelog) why upgrading an app that has been here since 2005 from v1.44.01 (Dec 02, 2010) to v1.45.02 (Mar 07, 2011) with pretty much the same look and feel qualifies as a "major new version"

I thought as a part of the fundraiser we would strive to present a new refreshing image to new visitors and do away with maintenance releases during the 31-day marathon... not really?

Just my 2 cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version