ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft unveils new UI prototype - Windows 8?

<< < (2/13) > >>

zridling:
Where is Kinect? Never thought I'd see the day where we're told the mouse was unnatural and just too difficult to learn. As one commenter said: "At least they're experimenting."

Stoic Joker:
As I understand, Surface is still thousands of dollars. It will be a little while before that technology is affordable for the mass market.-Deozaan (February 26, 2011, 04:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The thousands of dollars part was only for the infrared camera (in the base to watch for fingers), and the commercial (restaurant) quality heavy Plexiglas tabletop for the UI. The software was fairly basic and the computer used for all the back-when demos was a bog standard off-the-shelf machine.

With the touch screens available today, all MS really needs to launch it is an OS designed around it and an updated marketing plan.

kip:
Try something like the Dell multi touch monitor with Windows 7 and some of the free touch pack from MS or the Worldwide Telescope, all the functionality of Surface at a reasonably low cost.  Damn good fun too

Renegade:
If I understand some of what was going on in the video there, MS is going to blow the top off of computing with a major revolution.

That is... If they don't do the "let's bugger this up" thang that MS likes to do every so often.

Put your camera on the screen to read photos? Unreal.

Some of the other stuff in there is also looking like it really will revolutionize the UI.

Crossing my fingers...

Deozaan:
So yeah... Windows 8 does seem to be more like a Tablet OS than a desktop OS. . .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version