topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Serial Key Storage for Windows  (Read 20180 times)

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Serial Key Storage for Windows
« on: February 25, 2011, 03:22 AM »
There'a a million for Mac: http://gigaom.com/ap...ber-storage-roundup/
Any for Windows? I mean, I know I could just use KeepassX or something, but that's sort of a bummy way to go about it, was hoping for something specific to serials.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Serial Key Storage for Windows
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 03:40 AM »
I just use a roboform safenote for each serial I have. I see no reason to use a specific program for something like this unless very specific needs are demonstrated.

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 03:42 AM »
I just use a roboform safenote for each serial I have. I see no reason to use a specific program for something like this unless very specific needs are demonstrated.
Well, for example, you're suggesting to use RoboForm. I don't use RoboForm, it isn't free, and the primary function of RoboForm is password storage. It's bulky and more than what is needed.
I am looking for something I can toss on a USB or Dropbox and have with me wherever.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 06:05 AM »
Keypass has a portable version for USB. Download link and info here.

Works on Dropbox too. :)

If you want a less 'busy' interface you could also try nPassword.

nPassSS.gif

Download link and info here.

Never tried this app on Dropbox however, so I can't vouch for how well it would work there. I'm guessing it wouldn't have a problem.

If you want something totally minimal (a major plus for some uses ) you could also try f0dder's fSekrit available here at DonationCoder.

It's tiny, reliable, and does one thing extremely well - which makes it a perfect app for portable use. Everything is stored in the executable so there's no separate datafile to go looking for. Sweet! :up:

FSSS.gif

fSekrit is a small application for keeping securely encrypted notes. These notes are truly stand-alone; the editor program and your note are merged together into a tiny self-contained program file, bypassing the need to install a special application to view your data. This makes fSekrit ideal for keeping encrypted notes on, for example, USB flash drives.

Luck! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:22 AM by 40hz »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:15 AM »
Aww, I didn't even have to do shameless self promotion :P

I personally use fSekrit (whoa, huh!) for stuff like serials and passwords for various sites, so I can attest it works pretty well for that purpose :P. It's all manual text, though, no fancy features for auto-filling serials or password forms or whatever.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 06:25 AM »
Aww, I didn't even have to do shameless self promotion :P

Nope. It's a pretty sweet little app. As such, it speaks for itself!

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 06:49 AM »
nPassword is portable too (with a little effort though). Extract the installer with Universal Extractor..

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 08:39 AM »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 08:58 AM »
1Password has an area for that, and the developers are super nice.  They just had a BDJ special, and I wasn't able to get it on the day, but they had already anticipated it and left the deal going.

(In fact, I just checked, and as of 9:56AM 2011-02-25 it's still available - https://agilewebsolu...m/store?d=bitsdujour)

They have a Mac/Windows/iPad/iPhone/Android versions, and they all sync.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 01:37 PM »
I also use fSekrit to store my serial keys. :Thmbsup:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 07:46 AM »
Here's free one by Avanquest.
Not sure if it's still valid-should be.
The promo is in German,
but you can usually get the language of your choice when installing.

Some of these promos stay in German, just have to try them.

http://freebiest.com...icense-giveaway.html

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 01:27 PM »
I use ListPro. Not free, and not specifically for this purpose, but as the name suggests it's ideal for lists of any kind.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 10:57 AM »
I use an encrypted file in Horst Schaeffer's MemPad.  It's a small, free, portable, two-pane organiser.  Useful for keeping dated copies of e-mails relating to licence key purchase, as well as the keys themselves.  Doesn't do automatic field-filling, of course, but I don't need that for license keys anyway.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 01:36 PM »
If both of Horst Schaeffer's MemPad and DateReminder utilities could be combined, to give reminders, 1 or 2 months before a license is about to expire, or offer a plug-in for MS Outlook, so timely warnings would display on my screen or Agenda, then that would finally be very useful!

We have some yearly expiring software licenses, that I can only detect of being expired by users complaining that they can't contact the service >:( And that service is then immediately needed to update the local license because the IDE at hand won't run without it >:( And then the update-process of the license at the manufacturer's website, even though I reported the errors several times now, won't give a new license key, so I have to wait (and my users) for the supportdesk to supply me a new key.
Yes we are trying to get rid of them, but this is about their only product we aren't able to get rid of, because of the specific featureset. :o

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 02:50 PM »
If both of Horst Schaeffer's MemPad and DateReminder utilities could be combined

I suggested that once, but Horst pointed out that you couldn't rely on Reminder pointing to a particular page in MemPad because the page in question might have been moved in the meantime.  So, the two programs would have to be combined at a deeper level.  Perhaps you could suggest that  :)  I used to use JBLab Secure Notes (payware: this is the original link but it's now dead) which was a small two-pane PIM with reminders built into it, plus other useful features, but I abandoned it in favour of MemPad because there was no development and a point came when it started to be difficult to transfer data out of it into anything else.  You could consider AllMyNotes Organizer, also payware.  I haven't tried it, but reminders are mentioned in the Help index.
How to... assign Alarms?
[...]
Multiple alarm objects can be inserted to the Note and placed at any text position.

Each alarm can be single-date event, or repeat daily, weekly, monthly, or annually. Also interval between alarms, and alarm end date (for repeating alarms) can be set. [...]
The author of AllMyNotes Organizer occasionally posts on DC, and has posted links for discounts in the past.

reminders, 1 or 2 months before a license is about to expire

You can set that in Reminder, but I'm not sure you can trigger anything to run automatically.  You can launch things, but only by an extra, manual, action.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 02:53 PM »
It's tiny, reliable, and does one thing extremely well - which makes it a perfect app for portable use. Everything is stored in the executable so there's no separate datafile to go looking for. Sweet! :up:
 (see attachment in previous post)
fSekrit is a small application for keeping securely encrypted notes. These notes are truly stand-alone; the editor program and your note are merged together into a tiny self-contained program file, bypassing the need to install a special application to view your data. This makes fSekrit ideal for keeping encrypted notes on, for example, USB flash drives.

I just realized that you have obscured the directory, but not the keys!  Will that be problematic?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 04:40 PM »
 (see attachment in previous post)

I just realized that you have obscured the directory, but not the keys!  Will that be problematic?
Looks like bogus example keys to me - have never seen Microsoft ECC product keys without numbers in them :)
- carpe noctem

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 01:03 AM »
Does fSekrit work on Windows 7?

Thanks!

Jim

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 06:53 AM »

Yes! All editions.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 07:34 AM »
@All responses & rjbull Thanks for all the tips you gave.
I've now tried MemPad and DateReminder, but they just not give me the right feeling about them that I can safely distribute them in my team. It's a bit vulnerable that all data is stored in a text(like) file.

Guess we will be staying with the current setup of a central KeePass database, and a set of repeating Outlook appointments for our team-lead. These appointments have to be manually maintained, and passed on when changing team-lead, but that shouldn't happen too often ;), biggest disadvantage is that the reminders only pop-up at the calendar of the person(s) that scheduled the reminders, not from a central calendar (we have a team-mailbox and -calendar in our Exchange server, never got group-notifications working).

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Yes! All editions.
Yup - and I've had to jump through a fair amount of hoops to ensure it works under Win9x. Not needed by a lot of users (Win9x support was broken for a couple of versions before anybody noticed :-[), but it's there for those who need it.

Only thing that can be a problem with fSekrit is übernazi anti-malware programs - they don't like code that modify executable files :)
- carpe noctem

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Thanks Stoic Joker and f0dder!

Jim

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 03:04 PM »
I've now tried MemPad and DateReminder, but they just not give me the right feeling about them that I can safely distribute them in my team. It's a bit vulnerable that all data is stored in a text(like) file.

MemPad has automatic backups, but only one level.  You could set up a scheduler to periodically zip them up and copy to a server, but that's more work...  I'm assuming that keys would be stored in an encrypted file.  Not sure about vulnerability there as the file is only clear when it's unencrypted.  But, I wish MemPad would automatically close encrypted files like KeePass does.

a set of repeating Outlook appointments for our team-lead. These appointments have to be manually maintained, [...] biggest disadvantage is that the reminders only pop-up at the calendar of the person(s) that scheduled the reminders, not from a central calendar (we have a team-mailbox and -calendar in our Exchange server, never got group-notifications working).
If you already have Exchange and Outlook, management would probably prefer that you use them.  I wondered about Rainlendar because:
Shared & 3rd Party Calendars

With Rainlendar Pro you can subscribe to online calendars and share your events with other computers. You can also see and edit your Outlook appointments and tasks in Rainlendar (Windows only).
but for Outlook synchronization you need the Pro version, which is cheap, but not free.  Also check the FAQ on memory usage for Outlook.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:07 PM by rjbull »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 03:23 PM »
I just realized that you have obscured the directory, but not the keys!  Will that be problematic?
Looks like bogus example keys to me - have never seen Microsoft ECC product keys without numbers in them :)

f0dder is correct. They are bogus keys. Absence of even a single digit is a dead giveaway. I just did a dididididat finger dance on the keyboard to create them.

And the only reason I obscured the directory was to draw attention to how you could rename the fsekrit executable to something more related to what it was being used for. And also because you can have multiple copies as long as you rename them. Something which I forgot to spell out in the post - so in retrospect, it was relatively pointless to obscure anything.

Sorry. :-[ 8)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:28 PM by 40hz »

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 09:59 AM »
If someone wanted to make a neat little portable application specifically for this purpose, I would definitely donate.