ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[Humor]: An update is available for your computer!

<< < (3/6) > >>

Josh:
Zaine, I am telling you what I've experienced on my BASE INSTALL of opensuse from the Live CD image. After the initial 280 patch update, The number I gave you is what I was prompted to install over the past 7 days.

How about we stop accusing people of exaggerating and realize that everyone's experience may vary? I am very sick of people attacking me when I share my experience (typical in the *nix community). I am not trying to make Linux look bad, I have no reason to do so. I am not a fanboy of ANY platform or product. I run whatever works and am not afraid to point out shortcomings. I am merely stating what I am experiencing or have experienced.

To sum it up, from memory, I had 8 on Tuesday and 7 on Thursday with default repositories. Cannot recall the other days, but that is what I experienced with various 2-3 patch days in between.

On Windows, I had SP1 for Win7 and 5 security updates (for a month).

Does this mean it is bad for either platform? No, update your software. Please, keep me secure. But let's drop the age-old metaphor that Windows has more patches than a Linux system. Call it like it is.

40hz:
@Josh - if it's any comfort, my NIX boxes easily get twice the number of updates my Windows machines do. And I should hope so, since I've got five times more stuff on them than I do Windows, to say nothing of all the bleeding-edge software I should have my head examined for using. ;D

As you correctly observed, each individual's mileage can vary.  :Thmbsup:

-////

Meanwhile...back at the OS cracker-barrel...

Zeke: Well lookee here! We gots us one o' them dang NIX community members gone agreein' with that young Josh feller. Can yew believe yer eyes?

Deke: Well i never...

Zeke: Yessir! What's this sorry world a'commin tew? ;D

worstje:
Annoying? I came back to my machine seeing that it had updated automatically. I didn't have to do anything but reboot which took less than a minute. On Windows, the reboot is optional. On Linux, if I don't logoff after certain updates, the WM will look quite screwy.
-Josh (February 25, 2011, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

I disagree. Windows 7 is an absolute pain, putting your arm through the wrangler with regards to rebooting. Half the updates are marked as 'may need to reboot' and end up not needing it (although it maybe just have been the early W7 period when I paid a lot of attention to it). You cannot configure it to only automatically install only those things that do not need a reboot. Once something needing a reboot is installed, it is pure utter hell trying to get it to give you some slack. At most, you can tell it to wait 4 hours before nagging you again. And it will not take fullscreen apps into consideration. I've had it force-close me out of a lot of documents that didn't get auto-saved in any sort of way.

If Microsoft fixed that, I might call their updater pleasant. Right now, it is hell as it really forces me to manually involve myself far too much.

Clara Listensprechen:
Annoying? I came back to my machine seeing that it had updated automatically. I didn't have to do anything but reboot which took less than a minute. On Windows, the reboot is optional. On Linux, if I don't logoff after certain updates, the WM will look quite screwy.
-Josh (February 25, 2011, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, that's nice at first, but after a while there are so many updates that the machine slows down, then MS comes out with a new OS and you buy a new machine with the new OS pre-install because it's cheaper than upgrading the one you got and what it all amounts to is that you change machines for the new faster OS like a person buying a new Cadillac because the ashtrays in the old one got full.

Stoic Joker:
We use Kaseya to manage updates (and etc.) for the office and client networks. So I have a central point to approve updates (or not) for everyone at once. That way I can wait a few days to see if there is any screaming before pushing out any given update to 100 machines scattered across the countryside.

At home I just use automatic downloading and let me choose when to install. That way I can time when to do what, because the reboot question is frequently dependent on what is running at the time the patch is installed.

I think I only rebooted about 8 times last year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version