ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XP multiuser default login

<< < (3/3)

4wd:
What about testing for the logon window name, sending the u/p directly to the appropriate fields, and then posting the LBM message directly to the windows message queue?-Stoic Joker (March 09, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's only going to work for Classic logon though isn't it, (where you type in a user name)?

Pretty sure my friend's only interested in using the Welcome screen.

Forgot to mention, I haven't tried to send a password into the prompt yet because I completely forgot  :-[
I was just testing with two non-password accounts but I just tried it with a password and it worked.

If you elevate your application to LOCALSYSTEM privileges, everything is possible...-f0dder (March 09, 2011, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm running it from gpedit->Windows Startup script so it already has SYSTEM privileges, (I believe), or is LOCALSYSTEM a little/lot different?

Stoic Joker:
SJ: that shouldn't be possible - at least not directly. Winlogon runs on a separate desktop (the NT object type, not "background where your wallpapers go").

If you elevate your application to LOCALSYSTEM privileges, everything is possible, but that's nasty hackery.
-f0dder (March 09, 2011, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

<I could be off base, but I think we're talking about a service, not an application>

True, but once you go down the interact with the login desktop road, you have to be on it to interact with it. So why not just cut to the chase and access the login window directly?

If you got to be there to get there why not act like you belong there? Ya know?

Stoic Joker:
What about testing for the logon window name, sending the u/p directly to the appropriate fields, and then posting the LBM message directly to the windows message queue?-Stoic Joker (March 09, 2011, 07:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's only going to work for Classic logon though isn't it, (where you type in a user name)?

Pretty sure my friend's only interested in using the Welcome screen.-4wd (March 09, 2011, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Welcome screen should also be a window (of sorts), and considering it is rather mandatory on the newer OS's it's probably worth considering (...Then again I should probably consider being quiet :) )

Forgot to mention, I haven't tried to send a password into the prompt yet because I completely forgot  :-[
I was just testing with two non-password accounts but I just tried it with a password and it worked.-4wd (March 09, 2011, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would seem to imply you are in the right place.

Damnit I wish I had time to play with this (office has me pinned to the wall).

4wd:
Forgot to mention, I haven't tried to send a password into the prompt yet because I completely forgot  :-[
I was just testing with two non-password accounts but I just tried it with a password and it worked.-4wd (March 09, 2011, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

That would seem to imply you are in the right place.

Damnit I wish I had time to play with this (office has me pinned to the wall).
-Stoic Joker (March 09, 2011, 06:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using GetDesktopWindow() I seem to get a consistant handle of 0x00010004, (IIRC), for the Welcome screen, now if I could only work out how to get the icon objects on it....

Of course, using the Classic logon would probably be a lot easier, just needing to send a load of key codes...but, naturally, my friend would rather use the Welcome screen  :-\

UPDATE: OK, bearing in mind I'm just playing in a VM and are stuck with 4:3 modes, the Welcome screen user icons are remarkably consistent in their positioning, (only tested up to 3 users so far).
The centre of the icons are located 60 pixels right of the screen centre and have a horizontal spacing of ~80 pixels, this is from resolution 800x600 -> 1280x960.
So given the location of the first icon, (using a simple lookup table), the position of those below can be calculated fairly easily.

Given the target is a two user system, this is pretty much solved only needing to be tested with wide screen modes to see if the spacing is significantly different.

In all cases the handle for the screen is 0x00010004, if I knew which process was responsible for placing of the icons it might be possible to make it a bit more intelligent.  I thought it was logonui.exe but I can't seem to get the GUI resources it might be using.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version