ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Using WinWget to back up a WordPress.com site?

(1/1)

doctorfrog:
I have some trust issues with the cloud, so I don't like keeping everything online with no offline backups. I'd like to have a local mirror of my WordPress blog (http://drfrog.wordpress.com), in case something happens. I already regularly export the XML file, but I'd like a much more thorough backup. I'm new to WinWget, and it looks pretty good, but I'm a little puzzled by the lack of documentation and the arcane command line switches. Rather than read through an online man page and go through several iterations of trial and error, I'd like a little guidance instead.

Here's what I'd like to do:
- completely mirror and have a local copy of the site, at an infinite link depth
- convert links to use local assets only
- include assets that are stored on the files subdomain (drfrog.files.wordpress.com), as winwget seems to skip over these
- be able to run and re-run a profile and have it reliably update the local copy of the site without any weird behavior

- best case scenario: be able to download the entire blog, ready to upload to a fresh server of my choice with minimal/no link conversion

thanks!

--frog

jgpaiva:
I have previously used httrack successfully to download full sites.
If it's something you don't mind running using a visual interface, it might solve your problem. IIRC, it can even store "projects" which allow you to re-download the same data later on.

timns:
I thought WP had backup function built-in? It's in my menu - although to be fair, my WP is supersexy customized  :P

An alternative to httrack is Web Copier Pro. Which is more gui-like. Tag line: "Feel the internet in your hands"

Ew.

jgpaiva:
I thought WP had backup function built-in? It's in my menu - although to be fair, my WP is supersexy customized  :P
-timns (February 28, 2011, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't that what doctorfrog refers as "export the XML file"? (I know nothing about wordpress, so I'm just guessing :P )

timns:
I thought WP had backup function built-in? It's in my menu - although to be fair, my WP is supersexy customized  :P
-timns (February 28, 2011, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---
Isn't that what doctorfrog refers as "export the XML file"? (I know nothing about wordpress, so I'm just guessing :P )
-jgpaiva (February 28, 2011, 03:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, it's true a backup of the tables.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version