topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Rant: Sigh...I hate censorship disguised as morality  (Read 1942 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Rant: Sigh...I hate censorship disguised as morality
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I'm not sure my comment is going to get past moderation in that article but here's what I wrote:

This is just silly and sadly proves your own bias.

You didn’t even ask for the best browser. You asked for what people used.

Opera does not need to have an 80% market to have an 80% appreciation.

It’s one thing to ban rude users, it’s another to flat-out censor opinions.

If you look around the internet, especially blog posters like you: Majority of the so called Fanboy Blog Advertisers are Firefox and Chrome users.

This isn’t even an argument of quality over other browsers. Opera sucks right now in that the old stable browser is currently very unstable with extensions added but this idea that somehow Opera fanboys are worse than Firefox and Chrome just because your less popular blog got a skewed audience and suddenly they now are worth censoring? Puh-lease.

Opera is so un-advertised elsewhere feature for feature that lies such as:

“Opera may be a bit faster, and only a little, but the Chrome interface is clean as a whistle.”

…being spread around still despite the fact that you can customize Opera to have an even more minimalist and cleaner interface than Chrome especially pre-version 10 is just like the same old same old story handed down by every non-Opera fanboy. Where’s the censorship there. Ban rude fanboys but using Opera as a scapegoat. Man…that’s just low.

and this was in reply to this

The Internet is a wonderful place to glean information, but it is also a place where some people can take advantage of the Internet when posting comments or reviews. These floaters actually surf the Internet looking for topics that they are passionate about, and will try to convince us that what they are posting is fact. Last week I posted an article asking people which browser they use and why they liked it. I ended up receiving some 70 plus comments in which about 80% spoke such glowing words about the Opera browser, that one would believe that those of us who use anything else are dummies. In fact one person who placed a comment this morning told me just how dumb I was in no uncertain terms.

Because of this idiot and his cowardly ways of taking advantage of my extremely good nature, no further glowing and loving accolades of Opera will be posted in the comments section. If this was the only time that this has happened I would just dismiss it. But this has happened before and as luck would have, happened again when I was visiting the Best Buy site looking at the Motorola Xoom tabled computer.

Motorola Xoom has not been released as of this date. Yet there are 20 reviews of the product. These were not product reviews. These were people who were expressing their opinion about the product before they even tried it. One after another they complained about the high price Motorola was charging, how it could never beat the Apple iPad and so on.

I'm sure there's a good chance the blog owner would pass my comment through especially since it seems a bit like it was designed to create some controversy but I still hate this. I hate how the other commentors ignored the crux of this censorship attempt and I hate how the lesser ones get the boot all the time like if Opera doesn't work with Gmail, it's always Opera's fault first.

I mean I know it's a small blog but I see this all the time with major blogs. Often times sites like Lifehacker will eventually create apologist or clarification style articles like Linux and Opera articles about it's features ...sigh...but in the end, they don't do this at the beginning and all the latter articles have mostly commentors saying how "Finally! You should write more blog articles like this." ...all while those earlier articles are full of the latest Firefox extensions, Google Chrome advertisements, Twitter and Facebook topics... as if those services weren't over-exposed already. It's just sad and I don't know where else to vent so I'm posting it here. (although I really should make a blog post about it but...ehh... I'm too tired to reply if that guy or someone else comments on my comment. At least here maybe they'll get lazier and not register. I'm not looking to ignore anyone but anyone else feel so helpless against moral censorship and fear that it would just be hijacked as a pro-this or pro-that comment?)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 12:04 PM by Paul Keith »