ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Social bookmarking sites

<< < (4/4)

allen:
So I can use applications written for del.icio.us on ma.gnolia?  That sounds cool.  I guess that means I'll be able to import ma.gnolia bookmarks to StumbleUpon.-superticker (September 13, 2006, 01:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That seems to be the general idea.  Talking in the same language as others.

... but using the ma.gnolia native api would give you access to more advanced, proprietary ma.gnolia features.
--- End quote ---
So what features would I be missing that ma.gnolia's proprietary API has?[/quote]
No two services are identical. Naturally anything ma.gnolia does that del.icio.us doesn't wouldn't be supported by a true del.icio.us api.  I don't know what goes on under the hood though, only what the drop in their blog.

One feature ... is the unique name ma.gnolia assigns to each and every bookmark.  Essentially, it's an automatically generated tinyurl ala tinyurl.com.
--- End quote ---
I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

--- End quote ---

I don't see any downside to it -- everybook mark you have is one more step to easy sharing, or even share just the keyword with other ma.gnolia users for quick/painless url passing. (You can embed links in ma.gnolia's internal discussion areas using just the keyword, quite cool).  One more convenience -- what could be bad about it?

dantheman:
Here are some of the reasons i've come to appreciate Diigo http://www.diigo.com/ more than others:

1. Firefox toolbar which lets me instantly know if comments have been posted and if the site i'm visiting is already in my collection.
2. On the other hand, i also use Foxcloud to back-up my bookmarkshttp://www.foxcloud.com/wiki/Main_Page, this way i continue to use Firefox bookmark search feature for quickest results (no matter which bookmarking service).
3. Diigo also has an excellent forum!

:)

superticker:
One feature ... is the unique name ma.gnolia assigns to each and every bookmark.  Essentially, it's an automatically generated tinyurl ala tinyurl.com.
--- End quote ---
I'm trying to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

--- End quote ---

I don't see any downside to it -- everybook mark you have is one more step to easy sharing,... what could be bad about it?
-allen (September 13, 2006, 06:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
You mentioned tinyurl.com.  What I don't like about their URLs is I never know where their mystery URL is taking me.  I would rather see the real URL before clicking on it so I know where I'm being taken before getting there.  I would like to avoid pages I've already explored.

housetier:
I use the Diigo toolbar
-housetier (September 12, 2006, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is no longer true. I now use opera and have a little bookmarklet for bookmarking sites at del.icio.us, and operastumbler for rating and submitting sites to stumbleupon.

I'd love to post to ma.gnolia instead of to del.icio.us though, however I couldn't make their bookmarklets work in opera.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version