topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Burn4Free ignores choices on install.  (Read 5462 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Burn4Free ignores choices on install.
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:02 PM »
I recently needed a quick tool to burn a DVD - So I downloaded the first hit on google for "Free DVD Burner".  Usually I use Nero, but I didnt have time to find the CD to install it, so I figured this would be a quick option.

On the installer, it asks you to choose between Default (Software + A Ton of Junk) and Custom (Software + Opt-Out of all the junk)

Now obviously, I removed the checkboxes for the "Install X toolbar and X crap"

Installed the software

It works nicely (no qualms with the software itself...just the dodgy install)

Later on my mrs opened Firefox (her prefered browser), logged in to facebook, and noticed a LOT of extra options, like smileys and such, which, at first glance, seemed like an official feature.  The feature wasnt showing on my profile (Loaded in Opera) but it didnt strike me as odd as they dont always roll out new features to all users at once.

After a moment of confusion, I noticed a tool bar at the top, which contained the logo for the new DVD Burner I had just told NOT to install CRAP onto my computer.

It was easy to uninstall, but it shouldnt have been there in the first place.

Now, its hard to say if this is a botched insaller, or they did it on purpose...either way...it needs to be said that I wasnt happy and figured I'd come rant about it here.

http://www.burn4free.com/

Im not against free software developers supporting thier projects by adding crap into thier installs per se - A toolbar here and there never killed anybody, and if it helps keep the money flowing, then good on them...but if I say I dont want it...I DONT WANT IT...it doesnt mean "I say I dont want it now, but install it anyway without telling me so I can check it out later and have to go through a whole process of removing all the little peices of junk you added"

Im gonna scan to see what other adware crap its installed on my system, but up until now...im miffed that it even installed the toolbar...I HATE TOOLBARS...I DONT USE TOOLBARS...I HAVE NEVER USED TOOLBARS.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Burn4Free ignores choices on install.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Now repeat after me: ImgBurn, ImgBurn, ImgBurn.........

Extract with UniExtract and delete everything except:
ImgBurn.exe
ImgBurnPreview.exe
ReadMe.txt

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:09 PM »
... So I downloaded the first hit on google for "Free DVD Burner". ...

the days of trusting Google's 1st hit on search results are long gone.. ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:15 PM »

ImgBurn.exe
ImgBurnPreview.exe
ReadMe.txt

I generally do, but neither Nero or ImgBurn was installed and I was in a hurry lol

... So I downloaded the first hit on google for "Free DVD Burner". ...

the days of trusting Google's 1st hit on search results are long gone.. ;)

Didnt "trust it" just clicked in a hurry

--------------

The software itself is pretty decent...I just didnt like the installer ignoring my choices.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25 AM »

ImgBurn.exe
ImgBurnPreview.exe
ReadMe.txt

does that mean it's then portable?
oh, I see lots of portable versions when I search - is portable freeware reputable?

Hey Stephen - any chance you could make your signature more panorama/signature shaped? :) Thanks!
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:28 AM »
The software itself is pretty decent...I just didnt like the installer ignoring my choices.

I had the same experience lately with PDFcreator (sourceforge) ignoring my deselection of the Yahoo toolbar (& it changed default search, the Yahoos). I suppose I should report it in case it isnt intentional....
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:09 AM »

I had the same experience lately with PDFcreator (sourceforge) ignoring my deselection of the Yahoo toolbar (& it changed default search, the Yahoos). I suppose I should report it in case it isnt intentional....

previously there had been an instance where the installer for Unlocker did something similar. it's hard to determine whether it was intentional or just poor coding.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:28 AM »
oh, I see lots of portable versions when I search - is portable freeware reputable?

iirc as of version 2.4.0.0, ImgBurn can be run in Portable Mode via the /PORTABLE command-line switch. you can also add the following to ImgBurn.ini to make it portable: PortableMode=1

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:39 AM »

previously there had been an instance where the installer for Unlocker did something similar. it's hard to determine whether it was intentional or just poor coding.

Im sure we have all been there...its 3 in the morning, your half asleep, , your finishing the final peices of your code, you put a 1 instead of 0, or a true instead of a false, and you spend the next 5 nights wondering why the damn thing wont load, or do something correctly.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 04:14 PM »

ImgBurn.exe
ImgBurnPreview.exe
ReadMe.txt

I noticed that with the last two releases. 2.4.4.0 didn't have that junk, but 2.5.2.0 and 2.5.5.0 both have Ask Toolbar and Uniblue apps. They DO honor the deselection during installation though at least.

Thanks!

Jim

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 04:50 PM »

ImgBurn.exe
ImgBurnPreview.exe
ReadMe.txt

Just extract the installer and keep the three files above, it has been able to be run that way since a very long time.

I've never installed it and I've been using it since 1.???, I don't use a /PORTABLE switch either but the ini has 'PortableMode=1' as the second line.

I noticed that with the last two releases. 2.4.4.0 didn't have that junk, but 2.5.2.0 and 2.5.5.0 both have Ask Toolbar and Uniblue apps. They DO honor the deselection during installation though at least.

Since I've never used the installer it comes packaged in, I have to say I've never noticed these :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:52 PM by 4wd »