ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Most Pirated Software?

<< < (10/13) > >>

Bamse:
Great, then DC is not special and has same loose relationship to piracy as world outside DC. That has been my point all along :) I find it difficult to make sense of any other point of view.

40hz:
@Bamse - my original offer still stands.  8)

zridling:
@Bamse:
I don't see piracy in righteous, black-and-white terms except for myself and those I know and work with. I've quit two jobs -- one turned out that they wanted me in accounting! and the other was highly paid -- because my employer was pirating MS Office to his clients! Calls to Microsoft and the BSA provoked no response, so I gave my resignation and told the HR person exactly why in the brief exit interview. If someone has kleptomania with regard to software, heck, just switch to a Linux distro, add some software repositories to your update list and you'll have more software choices than time to sift through them.

On the gray side, I've had a very talented friend who was an artist and thought she had to have Photoshop. Lacking the cash, she downloaded and installed Photoshop 6 back then and used it to get a good job, and from then on got a small discount on subsequent versions through her employer. I'm betting Adobe loves her now that she's given them thousands of dollars.

Then there are the Chinese, who I consider the same as those murderous thugs robbing ships and kidnapping people from ships off the coast of Somalia. Will they be so forgiving of others when their tech gets stolen someday?

Bamse:
I know you are a linux dude zridling and that there are some who stand by their words and conviction. I think I did mention exceptions a few times.

@40mhz, I am sure you would like to regulate ;) Can always tell... Apply for a moderator job if desire sticks. Piracy is typically an invitation for eager moderator wannabies people to react, old, weak and basically BS though there are people like zridling around who can ask WFT are you talking about?, standing up for ones word is a admirable feature - most fail and come off as hypocritical if they try, I estimate 95% hitrate when topic is piracy including every member on this domain :) Probably not "wise" to say either with so sensitive a bunch of people around. Virtual sensitivity rocks!

tomos:
Another personal (self-interested :-\) report:

At some stage I decided to not use illegal software on my work machine (self-employed) and I got to say it feels good. I did go this road initially out of self-interest (having pirated stuff or using it illegally on a work machine could be risky) but it has brought me along a road of finding good cheap, or free, or donationware alternatives to the big names. I'm no saint, (lets just say I wont pay Adobe for software that they are selling but refuse to develop...) but just wanted to point out that the non-pirated road can be a nice road to take ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version