ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Most Pirated Software?

<< < (7/13) > >>

40hz:
Understood.

But I think if you read what I wrote you'd see I wasn't attempting to moderate. Nor did I suggest he shouldn't say what he did. Nor did I hit the 'report to mod' button. Nor in any other way do anything to imply he didn't have a 'right' (whatever that means in this context) to say what he did.

To do any of the above would have been me trying to bring about an outcome. Since there was no agenda behind my question, I didn't have an outcome in mind.
--- End quote ---

Now who's talking like an attorney?  :P
-Paul Keith (February 24, 2011, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really? I thought I sounded more like a Jesuit back there. :P

(I get that "sound like an attorney" thing a lot BTW.  ;D)

app103:
Perceive? I have always had the experience that absolute worst offenders in this area are people working within IT. With practically no exception, safe assumption to make though unfair if not offensive to a few of course. And here on DC with programmers and all? Perceive away but what do you pirate? would be a better question I think ;)
-Bamse (February 24, 2011, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

* Autodesk Autocad (don't have it, no use for it)
* Microsoft Office (don't have it, use open office which is free)
* Anti-virus software (I use MSE, which is free)
* Adobe Photoshop (don't have it, use old paid for copy of Paintshop Pro 7, even though I have newer free & legal versions of it)
* Microsoft Windows (Main PC came with both Vista & XP, no need to pirate it. Other PC came with XP)
* Nero Burning (Came with my burner, but I don't have it installed...use Oront Burning Kit instead, free from GiveAwayOfTheDay)
I am not going to say I never pirated any software. But a chain of events took place some years back to end my piracy days for good...

* My main PC died and I was forced back to using an old slow pc with an outdated OS (this happened again in 2008). It's very difficult...near impossible... to pirate modern software capable of running on an antique. I gained a great appreciation for small single purpose tools, which were either freeware or very cheap. Using an outdated OS made me more security conscious, unwilling to use most outdated software or take a risk on cracks.
* I started resetting old slow PC's for the other poor people in my neighborhood, for free, including a hand picked software bundle suitable for their machines. Installing pirated software on other people's machines? Not something I'd ever do, and those machines were a whole lot like my antique which meant they couldn't run the latest & greatest payware any way. My hand picked bundle were all those small freeware apps I was running myself. The first one I did belonged to a cop's mother...then her friends and people from her church.
* I started coding...through which I gained a greater respect for software developers, enough to end my pirating days for good.
* I discovered this site, it's good people, mouser (you can't deny his influence being very strong), the wealth of knowledge on freeware, it's generosity which enabled me to afford to pay for a few things I really wanted, won a few other things, and was gifted something very expensive that I could never afford.
I don't want or need to pirate software any more.  :)

Paul Keith:
Understood.

But I think if you read what I wrote you'd see I wasn't attempting to moderate. Nor did I suggest he shouldn't say what he did. Nor did I hit the 'report to mod' button. Nor in any other way do anything to imply he didn't have a 'right' (whatever that means in this context) to say what he did.

To do any of the above would have been me trying to bring about an outcome. Since there was no agenda behind my question, I didn't have an outcome in mind.
--- End quote ---

Now who's talking like an attorney?  :P
-Paul Keith (February 24, 2011, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

(I get that "sound like an attorney" thing a lot BTW.  ;D)-40hz (February 24, 2011, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's hard for me to add anything else other than:

I wonder if mouser would ever add Slashdot like tags to DC. It can be awkward thinking I just didn't reply.

cranioscopical:

(I get that "sound like an attorney" thing a lot BTW.  ;D)

-40hz (February 24, 2011, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Trying to get a cross to your local barista?

lanux128:
am i seeing things here? :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version