ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Most Pirated Software?

<< < (6/13) > >>

40hz:

Umm...even if it was just a quick load/try/remove deal... do you think that's a wise or considerate thing to come right out and admit doing on the public forum of a highly visible site where a number of its members and visitors write licensed software for a living?

Just thinking out loud here.
--- End quote ---

Yeah. I don't see any problem stating that.

It's really up to mouser to moderate the posts
-Paul Keith (February 24, 2011, 10:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Understood.

But I think if you read what I wrote you'd see I wasn't attempting to moderate. Nor did I suggest he shouldn't say what he did. Nor did I hit the 'report to mod' button. Nor in any other way do anything to imply he didn't have a 'right' (whatever that means in this context) to say what he did.

To do any of the above would have been me trying to bring about an outcome. Since there was no agenda behind my question, I didn't have an outcome in mind.

I was simply asking if he thought his comment was either wise or considerate in light of this site's demographic.

That's all. :)

The question has a purpose however, despite its complete lack of an agenda. I was attempting to get a better understanding of where the person was coming from, and what framework of conduct and etiquette he acts under.

Bit of a difference, as I'm sure you can see. :)

I think Mssr. Bamse understood where I was coming from in trying to get a better handle on where he was coming from. ;D

And although his answer didn't really address my question, some of what he said gives me an inkling of which set of justifications and beliefs he uses when he downloads an unauthorized copy of something. (It's mostly the apologist or "yeah but" argument BTW)

I'm good with that. Next time he says something along those lines I'll better understand him even where I don't agree with him.

--------

Note: The arguments most downloaders use fall into general theory groups whose logic, ethics, and choice of words range from the deep and thought provoking to the completely childish and ludicrous. Read enough of them and you'll see the pattern.

Note too I used the terms downloaders and unauthorized copies rather than the usual pirates; or pirated/bootlegged/stolen software.

My word choice was deliberate because I make no judgments about people who download works from sources outside the creator's intended channels. People do what they do. And the only personal behaviors I ever presume to regulate or condemn are my own.
 8)

40hz:
If you don't speak about the how, you're just white washing IMO.
-Paul Keith (February 24, 2011, 11:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

And likely avoiding legal actions against you. :P

Paul Keith:
Understood.

But I think if you read what I wrote you'd see I wasn't attempting to moderate. Nor did I suggest he shouldn't say what he did. Nor did I hit the 'report to mod' button. Nor in any other way do anything to imply he didn't have a 'right' (whatever that means in this context) to say what he did.

To do any of the above would have been me trying to bring about an outcome. Since there was no agenda behind my question, I didn't have an outcome in mind.
--- End quote ---

Now who's talking like an attorney?  :P

Bamse:
Well I meant I should not post a guide with links and all on how to get a free Photoshop or listing best Windows loaders. Speaking of piracy in general terms should be ok. I would be highly interested in this area if I were a software developer. Question and task is how to reach people with stuff in a way they find acceptable and worthy of their $$$ - then you have a new Minecraft :) Some will never pay for anything but I believe most are more than happy to, among those who have money that is. Possible many are fed up with screwed licenses, non-personal home pages and support. They don't feel they are hurting anyone by pirating, they avoid throwing away money to more of the same cooperate crap. There are different ways of viewing this. If download.com and price tags of 19.95, 29.95 etc. are failing what to do? Put thinking hat on instead of treating piracy like a cancer give better result I think.

40hz, any clearer why it is suitable DC material? If not then nope, I don't think I am provoking anyone on DC by speaking of piracy :) Piracy/cracking started with BBS not p2p, time to get updated if someone is in shock.

Gwen7:
this is getting very heavy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version