ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

To persist with Windows 2000 support?

<< < (4/5) > >>

mwb1100:
I agree that it would be nice to have a small VC++ compiler package like vc2003toolkit.  But MS likes to keep everyone moving along to the latest.  I'm sure there are several reasons; not having to support old tool packages being one they'll mention.  I'm sure that encouraging developers to move to tools that don't support older systems is another that probably doesn't get mentioned in a FAQ.

There was a VC++ Express 2005 that preceded the Express 2008 edition - it's still legitimately downloadable from Microsoft, but they no longer provide a link on a webpage - you have to know it or search it out on someone's blog:

- VC++ 2005: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=57034  (from http://apdubey.blogspot.com/2009/04/microsoft-visual-studio-2005-express.html)

The installer for VC++ Express 2005 lets you clear a checkbox to avoid installing the IDE.  The stated intent was that this would be a supported way to install the  VC++ compiler toolchain for build systems.  I think that was one of the rationales for vc2003toolkit, too.  I imagine they dropped that option from Express 2008 because the full compiler tool chain is in the SDK, and that should be used for build machines if you want an IDE-less install.

I'm still pissed off at them pulling the 2003 toolkit, since it's the last (gratis available - iirc there were no express versions before 2008?) compiler that supports building for 9x targets.
-f0dder (February 23, 2011, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't recall if VC2005 supports 9x targets (I'd guess not) - did MS release any gratis compiler that supported 9x target before 2003 toolkit?

update:  according to Wikipedia, VC2005 will target 9x: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C%2B%2B

Eóin:
did MS release any gratis compiler that supported 9x target before 2003 toolkit?
-mwb1100 (February 23, 2011, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think they might have offered 'standard' compilers. The 2003 toolkit was the first time you could get an optimizing compiler for free I believe.

f0dder:
mwb1100: yeah, 2005 was the last compiler with Win9x support, I had just forgotten that MS released an Express version of it - so it's the last gratis win9x compiler. And while it might be available via those links (I don't think there's any way to get 2003toolkit from MS?), it's probably going to expire within too long, just like the last .CHM PlatformSDK versions first disappeared through public pages, and then suddenly couldn't be reached by URL-guessing either. Shame.

did MS release any gratis compiler that supported 9x target before 2003 toolkit?
-mwb1100 (February 23, 2011, 05:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
I think they might have offered 'standard' compilers. The 2003 toolkit was the first time you could get an optimizing compiler for free I believe.-Eóin (February 23, 2011, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds right to me. Weren't the SDK-included compilers initially handicapped? Or was it just that only the x64 compilers were offered, initially?

Eóin:
My memory of the early 64 bit compilers was that you got betas with the server 2003 sdk, though they seemed to work for the simple stuff I messed with back then. There were How-Tos online around the time on getting Visual Studio 2003 to use them so you could compile 64bit applications through the IDE.

I don't really know what the situation was with VS.net 2002 and earlier, I wasn't really into C++ then.

Stoic Joker:
(I don't think there's any way to get 2003toolkit from MS?)-f0dder (February 23, 2011, 06:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh hell yeah, the MSDN goes all the way back to Visual C++ v1.52. Granted you need a subscription (not cheap) but they are still available.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version