ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

To persist with Windows 2000 support?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Eóin:
True of course, but nonetheless the functions are used within in the CRT as best I can tell.

f0dder:
True of course, but nonetheless the functions are used within in the CRT as best I can tell.-Eóin (February 23, 2011, 03:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wouldn't be surprising to have code duplicated across kernel and user mode :)

mwb1100:
(shame on MS for taking that offline, and double shame on them for not offering "toolkit" versions of later compilers!)
-f0dder (February 23, 2011, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with this.

But, you can install VC++ Express and just ignore the IDE to get similar functionality (VC++ 2005 even had an option to install only the command line tools without the IDE).  However, VC++ Express doesn't include 64-bit compilers (see later) and VC++2005 is only available from a link that isn't on a Microsoft page.  You can still get VC++ Express 2008 via a published Microsoft webpage, but if I had to put money on it, I'd guess that at some point they'll drop it (so download the ISO now if you think you might want it in the future).

Also, the Windows SDK now includes the compilers (it's had 64-bit compilers since MS started supporting ia64, and now has the 32-bit x86 compiler - I think that started with the Vista SDK).

Eóin:
Yeah the SDKs are great, they seem to give you everything except ATL and MFC, and the IDE of course.

f0dder:
Both the SDKs and the Express editions are nice things... and both are absolutely humongous compared to the 32meg VCToolkitSetup.exe. I'm sorta OK with MS not supporting toolkit versions of their recent compilers, even though I think it's a shame they don't.

But I'm still pissed off at them pulling the 2003 toolkit, since it's the last (gratis available - iirc there were no express versions before 2008?) compiler that supports building for 9x targets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version