ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I be concerned that my wife opened a Facebook account?

<< < (3/3)

app103:
No, I'm just talking about how employers are now using Facebook against workers. For example, if the employer is a god-believer, then he/she won't hire someone with atheist on their Facebook page. (But wait, Facebook doesn't even offer "atheist" as an option does it?) Same goes for any other personal info shared is what I'm afraid of. I trust the wife, not the corporation.
-zridling (February 23, 2011, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

If you lock your privacy down really tight, they can't see your photos, info, or anything else on your profile unless you add them as a friend. All they can see is your name and current profile pic (if you have one). And they don't have options to check for religious beliefs. It's a blank box in which you can type in anything you want. I have seen some crazy snarky stuff that people have typed in there. I didn't type anything in there...it's still blank. I don't have any religious views so that box is irrelevant.

So, if she locks down her privacy, doesn't friend people she doesn't really know (limit it to real friends and family), and doesn't use a scarlet A as her profile photo, it's not likely any stranger would know.

f0dder:
So, if she locks down her privacy, doesn't friend people she doesn't really know (limit it to real friends and family), and doesn't use a scarlet A as her profile photo, it's not likely any stranger would know.-app103 (February 23, 2011, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Limiting to real friends & family definitely reduces the risk of mischief... adding workmates can be a very bad idea. But in the end, if you have anything in the least compromising on facebook, all it takes is one disgruntled person on your friend list. And there's rumors of insurance companies etc having special deal with the facebook corp.

app103:
Also never posting anything you wouldn't want to see on the front page of cnn.com is a good idea too.

nosh:
There has been more than one occasion when a FB vulnerability has made private information easily accessible to anyone who cares. If you think the employer is not beyond pasting a little Javascript in the address bar, it's best to read the "private" setting as "private (until the next kid pwns us)".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version