ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Should I be concerned that my wife opened a Facebook account?

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
Dear DC,
Not a day goes by that I don't see another report of someone being fired (or not hired) for something posted on their Facebook page. I know little about Facebook, but she has a great career in management and though her posts are plain and among her few friends and family, I find it a bad idea to risk your economic future to someone else's perception of your Facebook profile/posts/friends. It seems a lot of employers are using Facebook to get around employment law, e.g., the Human Resources manager who might say: "She's an atheist? Get that heathen out of my company!"

Signed,
Concerned and Worried

Paul Keith:
...it's not yet April's Fools... (Sorry if thread is supposed to be serious)

app103:
Have her add this app from Bit Defender and pay special attention to the Privacy section. It will scan her profile and tell her what settings need adjusting. She should make sure she checks it periodically.

Also, she doesn't have to fill in any of the optional boxes on her profile. I certainly do not have anything filled in on the Philosophy section, where religious and political views are listed.

Jibz:
From the BitDefender safego eula:

Whenever it detects a post/comment that is likely to be spam or part of a phishing/malware dissemination scheme, BitDefender safego will post a warning comment to the respective message. BitDefender safego can also periodically post on users. Facebook Wall page various statistics concerning the security status of that account and the application.s activity.

The application.s page (interface) may also display various BitDefender advertisements or direct links to BitDefender quizzes or questionnaires.
--- End quote ---

So it's an anti-spam solution that reserves the right to spam you? :mrgreen:

Ok, jokes aside, it sounds like a good idea. I find it annoying having to check manually what new privacy options they have added that are set to share all by default all the time.

app103:
You can change the settings so it doesn't spam your wall or leave "spam" comments on other people's spam/scam/malware posts if you want.

It doesn't just check your privacy settings...it also scans the posts from your friends in your news feed and checks them for malware, scam,  and spam links. The optional setting that may seem like spam in its description is to post a warning comment on anything bad it finds, warning both you and others not to click the link in the post, and alerting your friend about the bad post so they can remove it and track down the source of the bad autopost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version