ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

IDEA: Plain text checklist manager

<< < (3/5) > >>

superboyac:
OOO:
http://widefido.com/products/todopaper/
That program is perfect for what I was looking for.  Man, i wish it were free  :(.
If I detailed the characteristic features, do you think we could mimic it here?

superboyac:
One thing that ALL of the listmakers I've tried are not very good at is printing.  Including MLO, which is expensive.  I've soured on it a little because I've been using it for years now, and the printing is still extremely shabby.  People overlook that part, but remember.  People at work and stuff have to take their lists to meetings with them and show it to others and talk about it.  These printouts from software are so bad that I'm embarrassed to show it during meetings.  So i have to take it to excel, massage it, then bring it.  It would be really nice to have some nice GUI controls for modifying and tweaking how the printouts of these lists look.  At the very least, if it looks really nice on the screen, it should be one-click solution to print that.  We need to be able to present the lists in front of people.

It seems like people just use the standard IE print preview/print component in their software.  It's probably easy and cheap or something to do that.  What are the better alternatives out there for printing and print preview components?  If it's a matter of money, maybe I could donate it to DC for the programmers to use.  Hey!  That's a good idea...instead of making donations to individuals, could we donate development tools to DC, as a kind of site license that developers can use to create programs?

app103:
One thing that ALL of the listmakers I've tried are not very good at is printing. 
-superboyac (February 23, 2011, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, that was something I failed to mention about mine...

When you print out the ToDo side, it gives you little check boxes next to everything.

Also, being plain text files, you can just open it in the text editor of your choice and print it from there, changing the font & size, margins, etc. if you want more control over the appearance of the printed document. (you just won't get the nice little check boxes if you do). This was one of the reasons why I chose to use 2 text files for it, one for ToDo and the other for Done, instead of combining it into a single file.

superboyac:
Thanks app, I do like your application.  If they start breaking my balls about my task schedule here at work, I'll probably use yours since it's simple.

Is there a software out there that only does styling?  Like, if certain programs spit out text files in a certain way, you can use another program to stylize it based on rules?  For example, when it sees the string "@done" in front of a line, make the font 16, background color, etc.?  Is there something that can do that?
It would be like a css styler that you setup one time and use automatically to print things from then on.

app103:
Is there a software out there that only does styling?  Like, if certain programs spit out text files in a certain way, you can use another program to stylize it based on rules?  For example, when it sees the string "@done" in front of a line, make the font 16, background color, etc.?  Is there something that can do that?
It would be like a css styler that you setup one time and use automatically to print things from then on.
-superboyac (February 23, 2011, 09:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know of anything like that but it sure sounds like a fantastic idea for an app.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version