ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

IDEA: Plain text checklist manager

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
Tudumo costs $30.-superboyac (February 22, 2011, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good enough.  Wraith mentioned he might want to write this one; if he doesn't, I can.
-skwire (February 22, 2011, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do want to... but there's no reason we can't have more than one approach.  How about if we settle on the format, and if you want to tackle it also, we'll have two separate ones that read the same file format?

Just as a start, the format I have in mind is something pretty simple.  Each line is one item of the format

-Task @Context +Project

where "Task" is the description of the task, "@Context" are the contexts of the task, "+Project" is the project the task should be assigned to, and "-" denotes that the task is completed.  There can be more than one "@Context", but only one "+Project" per line, with the "-" having to be at the beginning of the line, and the "@Context" and "+Project" having to be at the end.  The only problem that I can see from the format is the inability to have the @/+ sign next to a word, but I don't think that should be too limiting...

Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

superboyac:
Regarding the "+Project", would it be possible to have more than two levels in the hierarchy?  For example, what if I wanted to make:

Project1
  task1
    task2

For task2, would it have to be parented to "+task1", and task1 is parented to "+Project1"?

wraith808:
^ I can't offhand see a way to do that without making it overly complicated- something that I was trying to avoid at all costs.  One reason for avoiding it is that I want the plain text version to be readily human readable.  The other reason is that I want it to be dead simple to use.

Do you have any idea- considering also that I'd prefer to make project and contexts one word descriptors and tasks multi-word descriptions- to do that in that syntax that you wouldn't find overly complicated if you looked at the plain text version of the notes?

phitsc:
I started working on porting my FarrMilk plugin to the plain-text todo format suggested by Gina Trapani sometime beginning of this year. Although it's already quite far developed, it is not ready for release yet. The format, described here, seems to be very similar to the one you guys are discussing here. Actually that similar, that one was probably influenced by the other ;)

If you guys are going to implement an application, please consider using the todotxt.com file format. What it would buy you is compatibility with FarrTodo (which is what I'm calling the plugin) as well as compatibility with Gina's command line interface (available for Linux and Windows using cygwin) and (the main reason why I started working on FarrTodo), the Android app which she is working on with some other guys at the moment.

superboyac:
I started working on porting my FarrMilk plugin to the plain-text todo format suggested by Gina Trapani sometime beginning of this year. Although it's already quite far developed, it is not ready for release yet. The format, described here, seems to be very similar to the one you guys are discussing here. Actually that similar, that one was probably influenced by the other ;)

If you guys are going to implement an application, please consider using the todotxt.com file format. What it would buy you is compatibility with FarrTodo (which is what I'm calling the plugin) as well as compatibility with Gina's command line interface (available for Linux and Windows using cygwin) and (the main reason why I started working on FarrTodo), the Android app which she is working on with some other guys at the moment.
-phitsc (February 23, 2011, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that sounds like a good idea to me.  But it's up to the programmers to see if it makes sense.  I say, why not?  It's already been figured out.

Warith, about your comment, yes, you are probably right.  It could get complicated if unlimited nesting is allowed.  So does that mean the hierarchies are going to be maximum two-levels?  It's limiting, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be that way.  Probably best to keep it simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version