ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Revisiting the idea of simplifying the DC big app license key stuff

<< < (13/13)

mouser:
I was talking about the check for update thing, if it was to replace DC updater helper, it'd be really simple to integrate with GridMove.
--- End quote ---

ah yes, well the idea was to build these features INTO dcuhelper so yeah that would be a seamless move -- perhaps I should focus on adding some of these proposed options to enhance the update helper to support some of these update-related ideas and leave aside the issue of license keys for the time being.

jgpaiva:
I was talking about the check for update thing, if it was to replace DC updater helper, it'd be really simple to integrate with GridMove.
--- End quote ---

ah yes, well the idea was to build these features INTO dcuhelper so yeah that would be a seamless move -- perhaps I should focus on adding some of these proposed options to enhance the update helper to support some of these update-related ideas and leave aside the issue of license keys for the time being.
-mouser (March 09, 2011, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, having all the key-managing and etc. incorporated into dcuhelper would simplifyintegration with any member program. Also, I really like this scheme you were describing in this thread.

Why are you afraid of this new scheme?

worstje:
I am personally against dcuhelper holding all sorts of license key stuff. Why? Because not all applications lend themselves to the same sort of licensing scheme, or even want to bother with it.

JottiQ is my obvious example. It is not a tool I want to use any sort of license keys on. Why? For one, it is not a tool the user wants to spend time in - it is supposed to work with a minimum of the users attention being taken. Unlike updates, license key prompts are not something the user benefits from. Monthly renewable keys, etc.. they don't fit in my eyes. Compare that to tools like FARR, SSC, CH+S and GridMove, and they are actively being used by users who do more than simply 'start' the application with a single click. Second, the majority of the tool is actually not mine as it runs on Jotti's servers. Any sort of licensing would give off a totally wrong idea.

Updates and licensing are not remotely the same thing. Don't contaminate a good product with bloat.

Sorry for the messiness of this post; I am tired and having a bit of trouble expressing my thoughts on the subject.

mouser:
I hear ya -- sounds like at the minimum, we need to keep a lean and mean version of dcuhelper that doesnt include any new options.  But that doesn't mean we couldn't build a version of dcuhelper that does a little bit more and is just a drop in replacement.

skwire:
I hear ya -- sounds like at the minimum, we need to keep a lean and mean version of dcuhelper that doesnt include any new options. -mouser (March 10, 2011, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I have no intention or desire to add license keys to any of my apps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version