ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

No more desktop Linux systems in the German Foreign Office

(1/3) > >>

f0dder:
So, what took them so long? ;)

although open source has demonstrated its worth, particularly on servers, the cost of adapting and extending it, for example in writing printer and scanner drivers, and of training, have proved greater than anticipated. The extent to which the potential savings trumpeted in 2007 have proved realisable has, according to the government, been limited – though it declines to give any actual figures. Users have, it claims, also complained of missing functionality, a lack of usability and poor interoperability.
--- End quote ---

Source: H open.

Renegade:
Lindows maybe? :)

mahesh2k:
Users have, it claims, also complained of missing functionality, a lack of usability and poor interoperability.
--- End quote ---
I don't want to rant against linux apps but seriously i see the point. Check out pencil animation app and synfig. You'll find that pencil is very easy to use whereas synfig built-on GIMP toolkit and is extremely hard to use. I mean seriously, it'll take plenty of time to figure out what the heck is synfig. I'll not be surprised if any user prefers to buy toonboom or anime/manga studio or even pencil (free) instead of wasting time learning synfig. Problem with linux developers is that they build things without thinking about users. I mean if you want to 'get things done' then you need to build software with some focused interface instead of scattered widgets like Gimp/synfig.

Renegade:
It seems like there are large swaths out there that seem to delight in making "elitist" software - stuff that takes immense effort to learn. That has no place in the consumer world. Professional world? Sure. Often there's no other option as costs become too high. Consumer? Sigh... And this is why I never use my Mac... Too difficult to get basic things done. I find Linux easier.

In principle, I think it's better to use open formats and all that in government. But training costs? You need to be fiscally responsible at the same time. It's a tough call.

mahesh2k:
If i remember correctly then OSX is unix based right ? I don't know what makes them more easier in comparison to linux/unix based desktops or respective software. If apple can keep things simple for users then why linux/unix developers don't learn something from it ? The reason why microsoft softwares are always easy to learn is because they pay attention to users learning curve. I found linux developers are so obsessed with 'release early, release often' stuff that they don't find time thinking about simplicity in UI. I agree on open formats point- this will keep the world in sanity instead of forcing monopoly on users.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version