ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google set to steal Opera's thunder yet again, decides to eliminate url bar

<< < (4/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Let us not forget the fact that Chrome forced every major browser to have an overhaul in their interface in the attempt of mimicking Chrome's slightly more screen real estate-Paul Keith (February 21, 2011, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fact? Really? ...So, it didn't have anything to do with the vertical resolution of the suddenly mandatory wide-screen monitors causing the real estate shortage to start with? Which forced everybody individually to dive at the same obvious solution.

Paul Keith:
That probably has something to do with it (I don't know that part of the news) but I doubt it's the prime factor.

If you just look at the total feature demand that the other major browsers have adopted, it's not just one aspect. It's just the most visual.

Opera for example right now has extensions. Do you really think that's just an element of real estate screen shortage?

It's a whole bunch of features basically all majorly coming post-Chrome and saying it's all the same obvious solution is also a lie.

Opera's "one icon" is much more inferior than Chrome's and from what I've seen of the beta Firefox, it's not like suddenly they are going all about screen estate. (I don't have a wide screen and I didn't realize it was becoming mandatory) It's Prism. It's attempt at making the browser more lightweight. it's extension stores.

There's just too many coincidences to say the interface was just a "fix" when there's other non-relevant things happening all at the same sequence. It's like giving credit to Opera for dropping the adware model for their free desktop browser and not say Firefox's success wasn't the prime factor. I doubt any of the developers would admit to this but really it doesn't take a 24/7 magnifying glass of techie knowledge to see all the evidence littered about.

mahesh2k:
By removing address bar, how we're going to figure out genuine domains, SSL flashing in favicon place etc ? This type of thinking looks more like from apple fanboys than zen programmers. Sorry, everything that google puts in table isn't good.

MilesAhead:
Seems like a horrible idea to me -- just like this move to get rid of menu bars, etc. all seem like bad ideas to me.  Just give me a standard user interface and stop all this obsession with hiding everything.
-mouser (February 21, 2011, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never met a ribbon I ever liked. I don't see the utility in burying everything in context sub-menus under one button.  That's the worst "feature" of Chrome/Chromium is that wrench thing.  A program you know how to use that becomes unusable after one "improvement" is not improved. To me Windows7 Wordpad is totally useless for that reason. I use another editor for .rtf files.

I remember awhile back some scientist/engineer types were trying to get rid of the steering wheel in automobiles.  After all it works perfectly and is old fashioned.  They substituted a button pad that you worked with one hand.  Most likely all these guys died during testing! :)

superboyac:
To me Windows7 Wordpad is totally useless for that reason. I use another editor for .rtf files.
-MilesAhead (February 21, 2011, 03:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
hey!  Don't leave me hanging man!  What do you use for an rtf editor?  I have NEVER found a good specific rtf editor.  Please, tell.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version