topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: LATEST LaunchBar Commander VERSION INFO THREAD - v1.158.01 beta - Jan 22, 2020  (Read 277963 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I hope those who have been waiting so long for hotkey support will at least take solace in the nice features of it.

The nice thing is that you can set different hotkeys for different submenus in your launch bars, and bring those submenus up under the cursor.

This may mean that some people will choose to never display a dock on screen and just use LBC for popup menus.

In addition, you could configure some large non-docked launch bars that are more rectangular in nature, and keep them normally minimized to tray, and simply toggle their display with a hotkey when you want them.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser, i noticed that if i minimize to the tray and restart this dialog pops-up (see pic) and i have to close the file and re-open to make it go away.

ws-launchbar-new-1.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that's weird -- i'll fix.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In addition, you could configure some large non-docked launch bars that are more rectangular in nature, and keep them normally minimized to tray, and simply toggle their display with a hotkey when you want them.

OOo, going to have to check this one out!

{edit} I am not able to figure out how to do this....I've minimized the dockbar, assigned a hotkey, but nothing happens when I press the hotkey.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:29 AM by superboyac »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New beta is up, hopefully fixing some bugs found in last beta.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh Sh--!  I am loving the popup menu.

Needs one fix, though.  If I activate a popup menu and then decide I don't want to pick anything, as soon as I click elsewhere, the popup should disappear.  It doesn't...it just stays there.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yeah i noticed that behavior too.. sometimes.. will try to fix.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am so in love with this hotkey menu popup.  It has tripled my use of launchbar commander in the last 2 days.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
great to hear it.. are you actually using it to bring up a menu of an launchbar dock as a menu -- or did you assign separate hotkeys to separate functions?  or are you using it to toggle the display of the entire dock.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I used to have a floating dock (just one) of everything.  I never liked the permanent dock because it locked out screen space.  The problem with the floating one is that it disappeared behind other windows, and I didn't want it topmost all the time because it's annoying.  So I assigned a hotkey to the whole dock, and I minimized the dock to the tray.  Now, I don't have anything anywhere, I just pop the menu up under my mouse whenever I need it with the hotkey.  It's beautiful.  It's the same way I use ARSClip (or CH&S).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Latest beta update now has first attempt at multimonitor support.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
the multimon and new autohiding stuff in the new beta may yet have a few bugs.. but it's shaping up quite nicely.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now, I don't have anything anywhere, I just pop the menu up under my mouse whenever I need it with the hotkey.

I've started to try a similar approach -- next I'm hoping to set things up so that one of my 4 trackball buttons will bring up the menu (or perhaps have the dock show up instead).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Bunch of new bug fixes in latest release (1.75.02).

The new autohide/slide is actually working really smoothly now.. a real pleasure compared to before.  Actually good enough to use  :huh:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great, loving it!

Comments:
--For autohide/slide stuff, I don't know about other people, but I hate the delays associated with them (on any program).  I prefer to set any kind of delay on the slide-out, slide-in to 0.  Meaning, as soon as the mouse goes there it appears, and as soon as the mouse leaves, it disappears.  No delay.  But that's just me.  It's probably best to make it one of those millisecond options.  Autocad does this and despite me mailing them for 3 years, they've never provided the option for it.  To make it worse, with each new version, they move more and more dialogs to a slide-out thing.  So I have to deal with a million slideouts all the time, and I always have to wait a few milliseconds while everything disappears...it's a little annoying.  I know, I know, who cares about a few milliseconds, right?  But eveything in Autocad is done so fast, it makes a difference.  And I'm just crazy like that.

--Also, it doesn't look like you fixed the thing where if you trigger the menu to appear and don't want to select anything, it doesn't disappear.  At least have the ESC key get out of it, but ideally you want to click elsewhere and the menu goes away.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Also, it doesn't look like you fixed the thing where if you trigger the menu to appear and don't want to select anything, it doesn't disappear.  At least have the ESC key get out of it, but ideally you want to click elsewhere and the menu goes away.

i figured out what causes it and i did fix it for most cases.  just checked and i can see that if you have your LBC minimized to tray instead of docked, then it doesn't behave right.  i will try to figure out a workaround for that case.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i figured out what causes it and i did fix it for most cases.  just checked and i can see that if you have your LBC minimized to tray instead of docked, then it doesn't behave right.  i will try to figure out a workaround for that case.
I think that's how I have things configured at the moment and I am experiencing the menu staying around :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
try the latest beta, see if it fixes the problem (https://www.donation...arCommanderSetup.exe)

By the way im liking this sound for my menu click sound: "Windows Pop-up Blocked.wav"

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The escape key now makes the menus go away :)

Hurray!

Now if I can just get it to stop spawning multiple ones  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Now if I can just get it to stop spawning multiple ones

try latest (1.76.02)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:56 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another minor update as i try to perfect the autosliding and hiding.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that less than a handful of people on planet earth are using this program of mine..
Anyway, i'd still like to hear how the newest sliding/autohide works for anyone, so i can figure out if i can go ahead and take this version out of beta soon.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The hotkey hiding issue is solved for me.  I don't know why more people don't use this, it's a brilliant little piece of software, just like find and run robot.  I'm not a keyboard fanatic like programmers and other people who type a lot, but I am obsessed with productivity, and I'm in love with apps that pop things up under my mouse like this program and clipboard managers.  FARR is awesome too because you can find anything in the mess.

The way I would look at these programs for you as a programmer is that you can combine these features into a larger-scope program.  You can implement the find as you type search bar in FARR in many types of programs.  The popup menu can also be used in a variety of applications where you need to access certain tools efficiently.  And so forth.

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that less than a handful of people on planet earth are using this program of mine..

Hey Jesse,
I think it's a great program and that toolbars are the fastest way to start commonly used programs. The ONLY reason I don't use it is because I build toolbars with Directory Opus, which I am using anyway. So, even adding a nicer toolbar program would be largely redundant.
Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser: the alpha transparency isn't applied to the sub-menu, why not make the sub-menus inherit the parent opaque level. :)