ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

DVCS ? (All about Git, Mercurial-Hg and the like...)

<< < (30/39) > >>

Jibz:
After having used git a bit in SourceTree, I must admit that interactive staging is rather brilliant :-*.

For someone like me, who admittedly sometimes does drive-by-editing, being able to stage individual hunks is a really nice way to avoid commits that contain multiple unrelated changes.

ewemoa:
being able to stage individual hunks is a really nice way to avoid commits that contain multiple unrelated changes.
-Jibz (August 31, 2013, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, yes, yes  :up:

mouser:
ewemoa was explaining this to me and i didn't get it until i tried it, but i must admit it is useful.
I've been using SmartGit client.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, it's this:

Traditionally with a version control system, you might make some changes to various files in your project, then you commit them as a set, and add a short description of the changes.

If you have made a bunch of completely different kinds of changes to lots of different files, this can lead to some confusing updates, like "Changed a whole bunch of stuff in different files".

So we're talking about the ability to interactively select a subset of files, commit those changes with a useful description of what's changed in THOSE FILES ONLY, and then repeat the process a number of times with different subsets of files.

ewemoa:
FWIW, I didn't get it either until some experience had been digested :)

Ath:
For those using/interested in GIT this Infoworld article might be useful: Git smart! 20 essential tips for Git and GitHub users

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version