topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: anything better than Object Dock 2 Plus?  (Read 31831 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: anything better than Object Dock 2 Plus?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I've used Winstep Xtreme, Object Dock, Fences, Tiles, and various Start Menu replacements.  In the end, I've stuck with TrueLaunchBar.  I have no compatibility issues, it's relatively cheap, and it's very configurable.

My current configuration:

truelaunchbar.png

The best part of that for me is that all of those folders are just folders on my hard drive.  I made a folder, then several folders inside of it, then links in those.  And it just works.  The others are a bit more flashy and configurable, but in the end, I spent more time configuring than using- trying to get them just right.  And the fact that I have access to them all the time, rather than having to go back to the desktop like Fences is a bonus too.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2017, 08:41 AM »
Yep.  I clicked on this to suggest TrueLaunchBar.  Here's my screenshot.

I have to say though, TLB does have a lot of configurability.  You can spend a day just geeking it up. 

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 10:18 AM »
I have a license for the full Stardock series, but can no longer remember what ObjectDock was like.  :-\  However, a search 'here' made it clear that I have spoken about True Launch Bar in 11 different threads here on DC, this one being number 12, so I guess I already have made it clear that it's an important program to me as well ;-) And with your two's posts, it's appropriate that TLB just was beta updated per 1'st of May 2017: https://www.truelaunchbar.com/beta/index.html. I have been using TLB for maybe 10 years, and I have always used their beta versions, and never been disappointed.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 08:40 PM »
TrueLaunchBar is a good program.
A very similar alternative tool is my LaunchBar Commander program. Also good, if I do say so myself.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 08:51 PM »
TrueLaunchBar is a good program.
A very similar alternative tool is my LaunchBar Commander program. Also good, if I do say so myself.

Yeah, the main reason I use TLB instead is that it has its own shell integrated bars :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 08:54 PM »
I wouldn't mind being reminded about what those are.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 04:31 AM »
I wouldn't mind being reminded about what those are.

Look at the image above.  That bar (all of the yellow folders) is a normal quick launch bar.  And I can create multiple ones.  They're actually a part of the OS UI, rather than being a separate window/dock/whatever.  That feature is important to me.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 05:06 AM »
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can do that in LBC already..  They are just nodes that are pointed to directories.. But perhaps the conversation is best continued in a separate thread..

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On the subject of software pricing
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 03:24 PM »
Now here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=43805.0 (second post there)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:12 PM by ital2 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Talking about True Launch Bar, I noticed for the first time that if you pay with Bitcoin the price is merely $10. This is really a good price, I think.

https://www.truelaunchbar.com/order-for-bitcoin.html?SKU=TLB

BitCoin30%off.jpganything better than Object Dock 2 Plus?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 08:57 AM »
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can do that in LBC already..  They are just nodes that are pointed to directories.. But perhaps the conversation is best continued in a separate thread..

The launch bars can be integrated into the task bar instead of the other way around?  You don't really tout OS integration (other than being able to take bits into your bars like the start menu or the task list) in any of your features or videos.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2017, 10:06 AM »
That is the part I couldn't find either :tellme:

Been a TLB user since version 1.0 (and maybe even used betas before that, can't recall anymore) around 2002/2003, and the 1 feature that's pulling me back every time is the open-menu-on-hover that can be, quite detailed, configured. Avoids having to click to open a menu, very rsi-preventing, imho. And it may help that I got my license for free after translating the UI to Dutch :) (stopped maintaining that from v.3... when the api/procedure changed significantly)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2017, 04:03 PM »
open-menu-on-hover..Avoids having to click to open a menu

I'll look into such an option.

The launch bars can be integrated into the task bar instead of the other way around?

Ah I see.. No you can't put your Launchbar Commander docks onto the built-in windows taskbar.

ital2

• Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Superlauncher
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Just downloaded and installed Superlauncher, regular 30$, free on giveawayoftheday TODAY ONLY (up to 10 o'clock tomorrow morning, seen from Old Europe).

No help file, prefigured short keys to some system folders and so on, possible to enter files or folders, manually (only?) into the list, list available from symbol in the notification area (only?), didn't find a hotkey to launch the launcher, but there very probably is one.

It does not seem to be possible to have it as a vertical ribbon (?). Does anyone use it? Judging from its price, it should be as good as some described in this thread, but it seems to be far behind, but then, I could be mistaken; as said, I did not see any help file for it. Probably download/install today isn't that a bad idea if someone comes with more specific information even later on (install needed within the downloading timeframe, but I suppose you know that).

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2017, 05:16 AM »
Dear ital2, please stop messing up the tread-title without any need, it is very confusing for us, readers. TIA.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2017, 08:55 PM »
My current configuration:
I was looking for views on Winstep & ObjectDock today and came across this.
Intrigued by the Hemingway App.

Started Googling and reading/comparing. Grammarly, Stylewriter etc then came across references to ProWriterAid. Surprisingly positive in the main. And then I came across a blog/page which gave a link to a 50% discount on the lifetime version. So I bought it. Had never used it etc. I'm sure it will be worth it. Never thought about using programs of this ilk (my spelling, grammar etc is naturally good and extra steps are time lost), but I have spent a surprising proportion of my working life reading, editing and correcting other people's work as well as writing myself, so I can't see how it won't be useful.

wrt to the original question, I bought both. I've had TLB for many years, but do like the graphical bells and whistles of the docks. Used to use Circle Dock. Not sure which I will use or whether I will continue with both, but I've given the Start button a good go on my Surface but it doesn't cut it in laptop multi monitor mode.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2017, 09:23 PM »
Started Googling and reading/comparing. Grammarly, Stylewriter etc then came across references to ProWriterAid. Surprisingly positive in the main. And then I came across a blog/page which gave a link to a 50% discount on the lifetime version. So I bought it. Had never used it etc. I'm sure it will be worth it. Never thought about using programs of this ilk (my spelling, grammar etc is naturally good and extra steps are time lost), but I have spent a surprising proportion of my working life reading, editing and correcting other people's work as well as writing myself, so I can't see how it won't be useful.

I heard about that before, but have been having a hard time paying the price.  Let me know how it is.

wrt to the original question, I bought both. I've had TLB for many years, but do like the graphical bells and whistles of the docks. Used to use Circle Dock. Not sure which I will use or whether I will continue with both, but I've given the Start button a good go on my Surface but it doesn't cut it in laptop multi monitor mode.

TLB is still my mainstay, but I've been wanting to try something else (get back into Winstep for instance), but just haven't had the time for configuration.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2017, 05:43 AM »
Initial impression of ProWritingAid is that it is very detailed and pernickety. Does function as expected though and seems actively maintained and sold.
Masses of detail and masses of settings you can mould to your own needs. Does, however, allow you just to drill down to the information you are looking for. The Summary View may help some.
Will integrate with Scrivener and Word (& Google Docs and a few others) which is useful if you use either as there is no need to reformat.
Option to check for plagiarism (though a limited number of reports a year - presumably you can pay for more).
Has readability stats which I know I find useful sometimes, and I hate doing on the net.
In general, I would be much faster (and better) at doing most of these things myself; most of what I read (of all types) suggests that many other people would benefit. Time will tell how useful I find it.

Agree about the cost. I wouldn't pay the annual subscription. Or the usual lifetime rate. At least without being convinced of its value to me. But $70 seemed OK, given that I have a wide range of potential uses. Not sure when the offer will end; I'd assumed it would be Cyber Monday since it was going on well past the 25th but it was still there when I checked. Cross fingers for sufficient longevity to justify lifetime.

I suspect if you don't have time to set up a dock, then you won't have time to set up ProWritingAid.
I always had them and used TLB and Circle Dock on my last computer, but was determined to trial vanilla W10 on my Surface. I've done that and have get fed up with it. ObjectDock and Winstep Xtreme aren't playing that well together atm, though seemed fine when I first installed.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 09:08 AM »
I didn't see much to set up.  After your review of it, I tried it out, and figured it would definitely help me as I've started getting more paying writing gigs.  I tried it out on a sample of text that I'd written before, and after looking through the results, purchased the lifetime license, so thanks for that!  I do agree on the persnickety statement, but it does seem to remove a lot of the editing that I'd have to have done, so perhaps would make me more marketable.

Thanks again!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Yeah.
Pernickety - British
Persnickety - North American
 ;D

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 11:31 AM »
And the strange thing I noticed today is that the offer seems to be left over from last year's Black Friday. As if they just 'forgot' to end it. It's on their website, so surely they must be aware. Still, it made all the difference to me buying it.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50 PM »