ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

3Tb Drives are Here! That's 500,000 songs. Enough yet?

<< < (2/6) > >>

superboyac:
Jeez...

I put a Blu-ray burner in my desktop for optical backups. Now, to back up that drive, it would only take, oh, 60 dual-layer discs or 120 singles... Yikes...

Now if only we could get 3TB SSDs for $240~! :D
-Renegade (February 17, 2011, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Renegade, what do you use for discs and how much do they cost?

Stoic Joker:
I put a Blu-ray burner in my desktop for optical backups.-Renegade (February 17, 2011, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
What, there's still people using optical media for backups? O_o-f0dder (February 17, 2011, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I see a lot of SOHO/SMBs doing optical backups ... I've yet to see any of them do a successful restore... *Shrug* ...But at least they're trying. ;)

superboyac:
holy shit, 3 tb is a lot.  But if you think about it, backing up a bluray disc will be about 50GB.  So a 3TB drive will <only> hold 60 bluray movies.  That's not a lot.  I plan on transferring my entire collection within the next year or two, i should probably plan ahead on how much space I'll need.  i don't know about you guys, but I'm damn excited for the day when I can watch all my stuff without flipping dvd's in and out.  Oo baby.  I'm also closely monitoring Java's HTPC front end journey.

f0dder:
I put a Blu-ray burner in my desktop for optical backups.-Renegade (February 17, 2011, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
What, there's still people using optical media for backups? O_o-f0dder (February 17, 2011, 07:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

I see a lot of SOHO/SMBs doing optical backups ... I've yet to see any of them do a successful restore... -Stoic Joker (February 17, 2011, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---
Exactly.

But if you think about it, backing up a bluray disc will be about 50GB.  So a 3TB drive will <only> hold 60 bluray movies.-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Convert to mkv/x264 and you're down to ~8gig apop with very little visible quality loss - if your main reason is backups and ease of use, that's good enough, and you can store the original discs in a safe and humidity-controlled environment :)

superboyac:
But if you think about it, backing up a bluray disc will be about 50GB.  So a 3TB drive will <only> hold 60 bluray movies.-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Convert to mkv/x264 and you're down to ~8gig apop with very little visible quality loss - if your main reason is backups and ease of use, that's good enough, and you can store the original discs in a safe and humidity-controlled environment :)
-f0dder (February 17, 2011, 12:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
See, I don't understand that at all.  How can you go from 50GB to 8GB and see no visible loss?  i don't understand.  Is the other 40GB just waste?  If I convert it using makemkv, how big will the file be?  I've always assumed that it would be the full 50GB since makemkv doesn't compress.  But I really don't want to compress if I can help it.  however, if what you say is true, why should I waste that much space for no reason?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version