ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DC Member Programs and Projects

new software - dst

(1/3) > >>

kobi7:
okay, so this would be my second application listed here. I'm a (relatively) beginner programmer, and will use C# for this work.
I haven't finished the functional parts yet, about 50% there.

the deal is, I reached a barrier of software complexity, leading to slow advancement.
(btw, if you have suggestions how to deal with it, I'm all ears)

I am going to reorganize my code, possibly as dlls,
and post here very small increments of the gui, adding functionality bit by bit, once it's clean enough.
the basic design is pretty good, but the functioning design is lacking.
(anyone has recommendations how to approach a design phase in software? - this, I know almost nothing about)

so the first versions are going to be entirely fake ones. do nothing. (and won't even look like the real one)
the program is called DST, direct secure talk.
it will be a connection between 2 people.
then it will also be secure, communication will be encrypted. (with a feature that the keys change with increased bitsize every x minutes)
then it will add features like chat, and file transfer. (and possibly one more feature)
I see value in this program, for my own and my friends usage. it will be donationware/charity-ware. but I won't publish the source.

the plan is to post here all the versions, even those who'd do nothing, because it may help me with dedication and self discipline.
I also don't work on it full time, so there will be some time before releases.

anyway, hope you'll like this toy, and hoping it becomes mature.
I'm interested in seeing gui mockups too.

(you can use the excellent Caretta gui design studio: http://www.carettasoftware.com/downloads/GUIDesignStudio_R36095_Setup.exe)

and lastly, please visit http://www.faluninfo.net
important information about persecution of innocent people - falun gong practitioners - in communist china.

thanks, Kobi

kobi7:
test gui, fake version.
D - no
S - no
T - no.

plans:
next version will have the tcp connector.
next+1 will have a server to connect to. (D yes)
next+2 will have a handshake protocol.

Ath:
Is this just for fun or are you trying to create another msn/skype/im platform with a new proprietary protocol?

kobi7:
no, the software will be restricted by design to a connection of two people, that is direct connection.
you can say it's for fun, it's a software project assignment I chose to do (college programming course).

kobi7:
a quick update, the organizing into dlls is a great success. reduced code size -> reduced complexity.
In another language I'm familiar with, the way to code is to start vocabularies (another name for libraries)
which have static functions (words) and public constructors, but do not have state. (maybe internally they have a private state to update between the words.)
the state remains in a few isolated places, in your own program, and there too it's pretty minimal.
So it's much easier to reason and see the picture when you split your code to functionality providing dlls, and the minimum active state and interacting with the user, that your program does.
following is cleanup, and enabling the gui to connect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version