ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Pledges?

<< < (9/30) > >>

timns:
I wasn't involved in the last one, so I guess I'm talking from a lack of experience... but I didn't expect it to be quite so 'passive' (I mean that in a polite way)

What is the goal?

KynloStephen66515:
Well, yes. Otherwise what does happen? If everything goes ahead anyway, where's the incentive for anyone to a) step up to pledge and b) put up some dough?
-timns (February 21, 2011, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
As an alternative to adapting the donation credit system, the pledgees could withhold the 'final delivery' of their goodies, until they receive a certain amount of donations, they then turn over to the site, and release the stuff?

-Ath (February 21, 2011, 03:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

I assume this means like some sort of "escrow" service? - Where-as the software and other doco fundraiser stuff was not released until DC hit thier target?

What if we miss the target by $1? what happens then?

mouser:
People pledging to create content means a lot -- it means people will visit the site more during march then normal when they hear about the plans for march -- and this will lead to more donations.

So pledging to create content helps a huge amount.

It's nothing so complicated as people promissing to donate $x if a specific pledge is accomplished.

It's more like: Let's do what we always do but even more so this month, to show people how useful and interesting the site is.  And in doing so we will get more donations from people who want to support the site.

timns:
Doesn't feel like much of an 'event'It's more like: Let's do what we always do but even more so this month, to show people how useful and interesting the site is.  And in doing so we will get more donations from people who want to support the site.
-mouser (February 21, 2011, 04:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

That doesn't feel like much of an 'event' to me. Not like NANY then? My apologies, but I'm not getting where the buzz will come from. Don't we want to really incentivize (if that's a word) donors?

mouser:
I suppose we are viewing this from two very different perspectives.

This idea of getting people to promise to donate some money if someone achieves their pledge might make sense in terms of getting people who already know and daily visit the site to participate.. but i tend to think of those people as already being friendly to the concept of supporting DC with donations, and not needing much of an incentive.

To my mind, the more important thing during the fundraiser is to try to reach out to those people who either have never visited the site, or else have visited once or twice to download some program, but have never donated and haven't given it a real thought.

So from my perspective, the most important thing we can do for the fundraiser, other than appealing to long time members to donate again, is to reach these other people by showing them that we create useful content that they benefit from, and by having other people spread the word about the useful content we create.

That's why my focus has been to be able to have some events during march that will get people's attention and show them the kinds of things we do that they might like to support.  Hence the idea of having a new coding snack or mini review released every day during march.

What I'd really like to be able to do is spread the word to other website that sometimes write about DC and say: "please tell your readers to drop by and pay us a visit throughout march as we will have new things every day that you may be interested in" and "consider making a donation if you like what we do".

The fundraiser is an opportunity for us to show why we are useful and why people should support the site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version