topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut  (Read 19824 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02 PM »
@40Hz - If only it were that simple... :(

It's as simple as you let it be.  :)

Damn Straight!

Guess how many Apple products I own... 0
Guess how many Apple products are own by my family members... 0

Guess how many I recommend to clients... 0

etc., etc., etc... It's just gotta start somewhere ... So who's with me?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 12:04 PM »
Or is until your pacemaker becomes dependent on your owning an iPad.  :P
I would totally jailbreak my pacemaker and have it do some cool shit.

Then Apple would simply disable your iHeart and let you die.

I think you mean iCroak 

:D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2011, 12:29 PM »

It's as simple as you let it be.  :)

Damn Straight!

Guess how many Apple products I own... 0
Guess how many Apple products are own by my family members... 0

Guess how many I recommend to clients... 0

etc., etc., etc... It's just gotta start somewhere ... So who's with me?

Despite my best efforts, I know at least 3 of my family members have iPods. 2 have iPads. 1 has an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4G.

After I got my Android phone I praised it so much that I got 3 of my other family members to go for Android as well when they were due for an upgrade.

My mom went to buy an Android Tablet (the Samsung Galaxy Tab, IIRC) this past Christmas but gave in to peer pressure when someone questioned why she would want to pay the same price as an iPad but have a smaller device/screen. She returned the Android Tablet and has an iPad now. She loves it, so that's good. But she also has and uses a Kindle, so she may soon be losing the ability to read her Kindle books on the iPad.

Anyway, I keep telling everyone I know to avoid Apple and giving them good reasons why, but these are often people who aren't tech savvy and believe the propaganda that Apple means stupid-easy for the oblivious, so they buy Apple products anyway.

I have a very tech savvy brother who also owns a few Apple products. His wife got an iPhone a couple years back and then when she upgraded to the iPhone 4 he started using the iPhone 3 (without phone service) as basically an iPod Touch for apps and things. Then he got really interested in the possibilities of the technology and bought an iPad and I know he wants to develop for iOS and heard he recently bought a Mac solely for that purpose.

I hope these latest developments with Apple making a huge cash grab don't come back to bite him in the rear. Oddly, he seems to be okay with the idea of letting Apple take 30% as "advertising costs" if people find his apps in the Apple Store rather than from his website. That one has me perplexed. :huh: Because I think he's planning a subscription-based service, which, as I understand it, means that Apple will essentially take 30% each month (payment), rather than just the one-time "finders fee" type thing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the implications of Apple's policy. Maybe he's in denial, still trying to figure out a way around it. Or maybe he's really Okay with the idea of letting Apple take 30% because of the huge market. I dunno. :-\

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37 PM »
I'm telling you guys...a jailbroken ipad is a totally different animal than a normal ipad.  Compare the jailbroken ipad to the android devices, and the ipad <may> be preferable.  But for people like us, I think this year will give us some options that might suit us better than the ipad or ipad2.  I'm hoping someone will make some business-grade tablets that runs Windows.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 12:53 PM »
FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies - even if their most significant were either 'borrowed' or acquired rather than developed in-house.

I have a big problem with Apple's business, legal, and marketing practices. And I have an even bigger problem with their resident demigod, Mr. Jobs, who is the most significant single factor that's keeping Apple from becoming something truly great.

:-\

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 01:08 PM »
FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies - even if their most significant were either 'borrowed' or acquired rather than developed in-house.

I have a big problem with Apple's business, legal, and marketing practices. And I have an even bigger problem with their resident demigod, Mr. Jobs, who is the most significant single factor that's keeping Apple from becoming something truly great.

This.  Unfortunately, but this.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I'm telling you guys...a jailbroken ipad is a totally different animal than a normal ipad.

Maybe you missed my link earlier: Apple breaks iBooks for jailbreakers.

Which pretty much leads us right back to what 40hz just said:

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies. . .

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54 PM »
I'm telling you guys...a jailbroken ipad is a totally different animal than a normal ipad.

Maybe you missed my link earlier: Apple breaks iBooks for jailbreakers.

Which pretty much leads us right back to what 40hz just said:

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies. . .

Man, if you are good with computers, why even bother with ebook formats?  The only formats I use are actual, physical books, or pdf's.  And for comics, cbr and cbz files, sometimes converted from a pdf.  The benefit is several-fold: first, no proprietary formats and no proprietary readers.  Compatibility across all platforms and devices.  Multiple choices for reader software: you can pick whichever pdf app best fits your particular needs, they are all very different.  Manipulation of content, so you can extract pages, crop pages, copy/paste into other documents...so you can use the content in the future for whatever projects you may be doing.  i don't pay for ebooks.  I only pay for real books. well, actually that's not entirely true.  I'll pay for a pdf ebook if it's open.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 03:18 PM »
It's not just about eBooks (or iBooks). It's a trend by Apple. If Apple are willing to break iBooks, what will they break next to punish you for using your hardware how you want (jailbreaking)?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19 PM »

It's as simple as you let it be.  :)

Much easier said than done.

When so many people go out and buy Apple products, and with such a large economy, it's hard to ignore (as a developer).

As a developer, you need to write for the devices/platforms that people are using. If that means Apple, well, then it's Apple.

What good would it do to write for Palm OS? Or the PET, or CBM, or Windows 98? Nobody uses them anymore.

While it may seem simple, it's not really THAT simple.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 08:41 PM »
[40hz]: If you don't want to live with: arbitrary policy and decision-making,  predatory business tactics, 'rules' based on (and changed at) whim, high nonnegotiable pricing, blatantly unfair and constantly rewritten licenses -  then stop doing business with companies that make no bones about the fact that's exactly what they're going to subject you to. Your single, most effective response to a bad deal is to walk away.
Meanwhile, Apple is taking this opportunity to shift the long-term future of mobile computing in its favor, without concern for short-term disruption. Sounds like another company I know -- cough, Google -- who recently dumped H.264 in order to avoid another generation of disruptive patent lawsuits and licensing disputes (enter WebM/VP8).

[Renegade]: As a developer, you need to write for the devices/platforms that people are using. If that means Apple, well, then it's Apple.

Loic Le Meur on the "new nightmare of developers and brands" that all these platform ecosystems are creating, and I can only imagine how devs might be tearing their eyes out of their sockets: http://www.loiclemeu...pers-and-brands.html

You need to be on all the above platforms stores, of course. But wait, there is more. You need to submit and manage your app to the mobile carrier app stores, they all have one. That's only a start, wait until the manufacturers themselves, the Samsung, Dell, HP and Sony have theirs, HP has one with the Palm acquisition... Even Amazon has an store for applications. Bonus startup idea of the day: create a service to help register and manage my app in all those stores in all languages, I can be your first customer.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Man, Z, you are really bringing up things that are riling me up.  I'm trying to work dammit!

You're much more in touch with this stuff than I am, but it seems as though there's going to be a lot of fragmentation just generally speaking in the future.  Looks like everyone wants what Apple and the phone companies have, which is ecosystems that are hard to get out of.  As an end user, I'm doing everything I can to basically prepare for the worst.  I have all my data locally with me, and I'm always working towards a more robust backup solution.  I'm probably going to invest in as many hard drives as necessary.  i want everything that I could possibly think of and need with me at all times.  Then, I make my own ecosystem for myself.

One day, it's going to be impossible to find anything easily through the cloud.  And all the services you want will be cloud subscription services.  The locally installed software developer seems to be struggling now.  We've heard not only from the developers here, but from other people I've spoken to that they just can't survive writing good software unless they work for a larger company.  That's a shame because those little guys often make way better stuff than the big boys.  I don't want to rely on Oracle software for my needs, it's not that great.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Man, if you are good with computers, why even bother with ebook formats?  

It's because of content and convenience.  I want to read on my device, and I want to read mainstream novels.  So it's not that simple.

It's as simple as you let it be.  :)

Much easier said than done.

When so many people go out and buy Apple products, and with such a large economy, it's hard to ignore (as a developer).

As a developer, you need to write for the devices/platforms that people are using. If that means Apple, well, then it's Apple.

What good would it do to write for Palm OS? Or the PET, or CBM, or Windows 98? Nobody uses them anymore.

While it may seem simple, it's not really THAT simple.

This.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2011, 09:15 PM »
wraith, why can't you read a pdf on your device?  Instead of a proprietary format, that is?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20 PM »
wraith, why can't you read a pdf on your device?  Instead of a proprietary format, that is?

I can.  But *all* books aren't available in PDFs is my point.  Can you get Heroes Die in PDF?  How about Changes or A Game of Thrones?

*That's* my point.  It's the content, not the format.  And if the content that you want isn't in PDF, do you just forego it?  I suppose if you want to make a point... but I just want to read.  I've bought Heroes Die and A Game of Thrones 4 times because of this- once in hardcopy, and 3 different digital versions.  And it means that much to me to be able to read them when I want.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 10:09 PM »
well, er...not legally i guess.  i did just find heroes die...
Why don't you buy the hardcover, then download the illegal pdf?  But I guess my real question is, if, hypothetically, all books you wanted were available as pdf's AND whatever reader you were using had many choices of pdf software as well as proprietary reader software, which software would you prefer to use?  The ereader one or one of the general pdf readers?  I would never even consider an ereader's software because there are so many great pdf readers out there.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 10:16 PM »
I know there are illegal copies out there.  But I do like the e-reader software better than any pdf reader I've seen.  I have illegal copies of all three of those books- but the legal copy is much more legible and is easier to read.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 11:32 PM »
Yeah...I should give these readers another try!

TheQwerty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2011, 05:52 AM »
Any thoughts on what recourse affected companies have since Apple has pulled a bait and switch once again?

I'm really dreaming that instead of bowing to Apple's demands we see a mass exodus of developers, including the big (Netflix, Amazon) and popular (Hulu, LastPass) ones.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45 AM »
Good question, Qwerty, publishers responded with a list of their own demands to Apple today:
http://paidcontent.c...to-tablet-platforms/
1. Censorship of content is non-negotiable
2. Transparency in the framework
3. Direct relationship with customers
4. Fair business partnership

Steven Musil has more on CNET:
http://news.cnet.com...mp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20

This is a valid fear of mine, that we're returning to the days of AOL and a walled internet. I'll say it until my tongue bleeds: I don't want to be beholden to a corporation. "The Corporation" is the great evil of our time, doing anything they want, taking anything they want, shutting off anything they want, and suing whatever and whomever they don't like into oblivion. And as long as it can make money, instead of fighting the sanctioned IP theft of China, they join them. But you rip one song, and you owe them $250,000.

I used to like Microsoft, but then I saw what they were doing with their formats and it was costing me a lot of time when I could no longer read documents I'd composed 10-12 years ago. I never liked Apple, but Apple has now told developers which programming languages can and cannot be used to create iPhone apps. Facebook is another evil entity. It might help with movements like those in the Middle East, but Facebook owns your data and doesn't really give a damn about your privacy. And in case you haven't been to court lately, Facebook is used as much as cellphone data these days (against you).  I like Google right now, but Eric Schmidt was a little Himmler in my opinion. I'm sure the day will come when they'll burn me, too. As mouser has pointed out, if they can't compete with the little guy, they buy him out, or they claim patent/copyright infringement and just sue them to death.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50 AM »
I like Google right now, but....

I should counter that one of the things I do like about Google is that -- like Amazon -- you can buy server space cheaply. 20Gb for $5/year is a great help to what I do. These companies provide valuable services, but why must their bargains be Faustian?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2011, 11:14 AM »
Well, it looks like anti-trust time...

http://www.nypost.co...vCWcJdjFoLD5vBSkguGO

the Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission are locked in negotiations over which of the watchdogs will begin an antitrust inquiry into Apple's new policy of requiring software developers who devise applications for devices such as the iPhone and iPad to use only Apple's programming tools.

There's more to it than just that though.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2011, 11:24 AM »
There's more to it than just that though.
This might hit Microsoft and others as well - but nice, I hope something major comes out of this rather than a crappy settlement.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2011, 12:43 PM »
I hope something major comes out of this rather than a crappy settlement.

What will likely come out of it is a crappy settlement. One which Apple will be allowed to make without being required to admit to any wrongdoing. Assuming it even gets that far.

Most of these cases end exactly that way if (and that's a very big if) they make it past the initial inquiry stage.

Expect political posturing, industry name calling, heavy-duty fanboy evangelism, the usual sarcastic and condescending comments from Mr. Jobs, some Congressional hand-wringing, and...well..very little else.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:45 PM by 40hz »