ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut

<< < (9/10) > >>

superboyac:
well, er...not legally i guess.  i did just find heroes die...
Why don't you buy the hardcover, then download the illegal pdf?  But I guess my real question is, if, hypothetically, all books you wanted were available as pdf's AND whatever reader you were using had many choices of pdf software as well as proprietary reader software, which software would you prefer to use?  The ereader one or one of the general pdf readers?  I would never even consider an ereader's software because there are so many great pdf readers out there.

wraith808:
I know there are illegal copies out there.  But I do like the e-reader software better than any pdf reader I've seen.  I have illegal copies of all three of those books- but the legal copy is much more legible and is easier to read.

superboyac:
Yeah...I should give these readers another try!

TheQwerty:
Any thoughts on what recourse affected companies have since Apple has pulled a bait and switch once again?

I'm really dreaming that instead of bowing to Apple's demands we see a mass exodus of developers, including the big (Netflix, Amazon) and popular (Hulu, LastPass) ones.

zridling:
Good question, Qwerty, publishers responded with a list of their own demands to Apple today:
http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-spooked-publishers-state-their-demands-to-tablet-platforms/
1. Censorship of content is non-negotiable
2. Transparency in the framework
3. Direct relationship with customers
4. Fair business partnership

Steven Musil has more on CNET:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20033196-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

This is a valid fear of mine, that we're returning to the days of AOL and a walled internet. I'll say it until my tongue bleeds: I don't want to be beholden to a corporation. "The Corporation" is the great evil of our time, doing anything they want, taking anything they want, shutting off anything they want, and suing whatever and whomever they don't like into oblivion. And as long as it can make money, instead of fighting the sanctioned IP theft of China, they join them. But you rip one song, and you owe them $250,000.

I used to like Microsoft, but then I saw what they were doing with their formats and it was costing me a lot of time when I could no longer read documents I'd composed 10-12 years ago. I never liked Apple, but Apple has now told developers which programming languages can and cannot be used to create iPhone apps. Facebook is another evil entity. It might help with movements like those in the Middle East, but Facebook owns your data and doesn't really give a damn about your privacy. And in case you haven't been to court lately, Facebook is used as much as cellphone data these days (against you).  I like Google right now, but Eric Schmidt was a little Himmler in my opinion. I'm sure the day will come when they'll burn me, too. As mouser has pointed out, if they can't compete with the little guy, they buy him out, or they claim patent/copyright infringement and just sue them to death.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version