ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut

<< < (8/10) > >>

zridling:
[40hz]: If you don't want to live with: arbitrary policy and decision-making,  predatory business tactics, 'rules' based on (and changed at) whim, high nonnegotiable pricing, blatantly unfair and constantly rewritten licenses -  then stop doing business with companies that make no bones about the fact that's exactly what they're going to subject you to. Your single, most effective response to a bad deal is to walk away.
--- End quote ---
Meanwhile, Apple is taking this opportunity to shift the long-term future of mobile computing in its favor, without concern for short-term disruption. Sounds like another company I know -- cough, Google -- who recently dumped H.264 in order to avoid another generation of disruptive patent lawsuits and licensing disputes (enter WebM/VP8).

[Renegade]: As a developer, you need to write for the devices/platforms that people are using. If that means Apple, well, then it's Apple.
--- End quote ---

Loic Le Meur on the "new nightmare of developers and brands" that all these platform ecosystems are creating, and I can only imagine how devs might be tearing their eyes out of their sockets: http://www.loiclemeur.com/english/2011/02/the-new-nightmare-of-developers-and-brands.html

You need to be on all the above platforms stores, of course. But wait, there is more. You need to submit and manage your app to the mobile carrier app stores, they all have one. That's only a start, wait until the manufacturers themselves, the Samsung, Dell, HP and Sony have theirs, HP has one with the Palm acquisition... Even Amazon has an store for applications. Bonus startup idea of the day: create a service to help register and manage my app in all those stores in all languages, I can be your first customer.

superboyac:
Man, Z, you are really bringing up things that are riling me up.  I'm trying to work dammit!

You're much more in touch with this stuff than I am, but it seems as though there's going to be a lot of fragmentation just generally speaking in the future.  Looks like everyone wants what Apple and the phone companies have, which is ecosystems that are hard to get out of.  As an end user, I'm doing everything I can to basically prepare for the worst.  I have all my data locally with me, and I'm always working towards a more robust backup solution.  I'm probably going to invest in as many hard drives as necessary.  i want everything that I could possibly think of and need with me at all times.  Then, I make my own ecosystem for myself.

One day, it's going to be impossible to find anything easily through the cloud.  And all the services you want will be cloud subscription services.  The locally installed software developer seems to be struggling now.  We've heard not only from the developers here, but from other people I've spoken to that they just can't survive writing good software unless they work for a larger company.  That's a shame because those little guys often make way better stuff than the big boys.  I don't want to rely on Oracle software for my needs, it's not that great.

wraith808:
Man, if you are good with computers, why even bother with ebook formats?  
-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's because of content and convenience.  I want to read on my device, and I want to read mainstream novels.  So it's not that simple.

@40Hz - If only it were that simple... :(
-Renegade (February 17, 2011, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's as simple as you let it be.  :)

-40hz (February 17, 2011, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Much easier said than done.

When so many people go out and buy Apple products, and with such a large economy, it's hard to ignore (as a developer).

As a developer, you need to write for the devices/platforms that people are using. If that means Apple, well, then it's Apple.

What good would it do to write for Palm OS? Or the PET, or CBM, or Windows 98? Nobody uses them anymore.

While it may seem simple, it's not really THAT simple.
-Renegade (February 17, 2011, 04:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.

superboyac:
wraith, why can't you read a pdf on your device?  Instead of a proprietary format, that is?

wraith808:
wraith, why can't you read a pdf on your device?  Instead of a proprietary format, that is?
-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 09:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can.  But *all* books aren't available in PDFs is my point.  Can you get Heroes Die in PDF?  How about Changes or A Game of Thrones?

*That's* my point.  It's the content, not the format.  And if the content that you want isn't in PDF, do you just forego it?  I suppose if you want to make a point... but I just want to read.  I've bought Heroes Die and A Game of Thrones 4 times because of this- once in hardcopy, and 3 different digital versions.  And it means that much to me to be able to read them when I want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version