ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut

<< < (7/10) > >>

wraith808:
FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies - even if their most significant were either 'borrowed' or acquired rather than developed in-house.

I have a big problem with Apple's business, legal, and marketing practices. And I have an even bigger problem with their resident demigod, Mr. Jobs, who is the most significant single factor that's keeping Apple from becoming something truly great.

:-\
-40hz (February 17, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

This.  Unfortunately, but this.

Deozaan:
I'm telling you guys...a jailbroken ipad is a totally different animal than a normal ipad.-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe you missed my link earlier: Apple breaks iBooks for jailbreakers.

Which pretty much leads us right back to what 40hz just said:

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies. . .

I have a big problem with Apple's business, legal, and marketing practices. And I have an even bigger problem with their resident demigod, Mr. Jobs, who is the most significant single factor that's keeping Apple from becoming something truly great.-40hz (February 17, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

superboyac:
I'm telling you guys...a jailbroken ipad is a totally different animal than a normal ipad.-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 12:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe you missed my link earlier: Apple breaks iBooks for jailbreakers.

Which pretty much leads us right back to what 40hz just said:

FWIW, I don't have a problem with Apple's technologies. . .

I have a big problem with Apple's business, legal, and marketing practices. And I have an even bigger problem with their resident demigod, Mr. Jobs, who is the most significant single factor that's keeping Apple from becoming something truly great.-40hz (February 17, 2011, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (February 17, 2011, 02:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Man, if you are good with computers, why even bother with ebook formats?  The only formats I use are actual, physical books, or pdf's.  And for comics, cbr and cbz files, sometimes converted from a pdf.  The benefit is several-fold: first, no proprietary formats and no proprietary readers.  Compatibility across all platforms and devices.  Multiple choices for reader software: you can pick whichever pdf app best fits your particular needs, they are all very different.  Manipulation of content, so you can extract pages, crop pages, copy/paste into other documents...so you can use the content in the future for whatever projects you may be doing.  i don't pay for ebooks.  I only pay for real books. well, actually that's not entirely true.  I'll pay for a pdf ebook if it's open.

Deozaan:
It's not just about eBooks (or iBooks). It's a trend by Apple. If Apple are willing to break iBooks, what will they break next to punish you for using your hardware how you want (jailbreaking)?

Renegade:
@40Hz - If only it were that simple... :(
-Renegade (February 17, 2011, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's as simple as you let it be.  :)

-40hz (February 17, 2011, 09:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Much easier said than done.

When so many people go out and buy Apple products, and with such a large economy, it's hard to ignore (as a developer).

As a developer, you need to write for the devices/platforms that people are using. If that means Apple, well, then it's Apple.

What good would it do to write for Palm OS? Or the PET, or CBM, or Windows 98? Nobody uses them anymore.

While it may seem simple, it's not really THAT simple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version