ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple: if we get you subscribers, we deserve a cut

<< < (2/10) > >>

zridling:
You make good points, Renegade. Apple claims "they built a new backend system that any of these apps can take advantage of. And when they do, it will give them within one-click access to some 100-mn+ credit cards." Bull. That's already in place! And just as there's no free trial for their apps, Apple also doesn't allow a free trial subscription. You're all in or forget it. That makes it hard on companies with more expensive subscriptions (or apps).

I really shouldn't make a snit over this. Companies should just charge Apple users a 30% tax on everything they buy. In fact, double it to 60% and make 30% off Apple's back. Problem fixed. If Apple users complain, give them Steve Jobs' iPhone number.

Deozaan:
I really shouldn't make a snit over this. Companies should just charge Apple users a 30% tax on everything they buy. In fact, double it to 60% and make 30% off Apple's back. Problem fixed. If Apple users complain, give them Steve Jobs' iPhone number.
-zridling (February 15, 2011, 05:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with this, except they can't. From your own post previously (emphasis added):

Publishers who offer out-of-app subscriptions, though, also have to offer in-app subscriptions and the price has to be the same or lower than for subscriptions processed outside of the app. Apple will take a 30% cut from these in-app transactions.
--- End quote ---

So in my opinion it's time for publishers to withdraw their apps from Apple and make it perfectly clear to their customers exactly why they had to, until Apple wises up. And then maybe stay out anyway if Apple changes their mind.

I can hope, can't I? :D

Deozaan:
I just looked at the source article, and you forgot to quote the really bad part (emphasis added):

However, Apple does require that if a publisher chooses to sell a digital subscription separately outside of the app, that same subscription offer must be made available, at the same price or less, to customers who wish to subscribe from within the app. In addition, publishers may no longer provide links in their apps (to a web site, for example) which allow the customer to purchase content or subscriptions outside of the app.-http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/02/15appstore.html
--- End quote ---

Renegade:
And all this is a large part of why I truly hate Apple (most days).

They're vampires.

zridling:
And Rhapsody is the first to say NO. The model can't work and keep content providers in business:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20032119-1.html

Our philosophy is simple too--an Apple-imposed arrangement that requires us to pay 30 percent of our revenue to Apple, in addition to content fees that we pay to the music labels, publishers and artists, is economically untenable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version