topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: program to create automatic fully unattended installations of software  (Read 4699 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hello

is there a good program or easy scripting kit to create automatic fully unattended installations of my fav apps, including customization of them (ie, to customize their Options)?

thanks

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
pcmover, drive copy, and many others

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Almeza Multiset does exactly what you ask - but you have to walk it through all installations the first time naturally. So, time consuming to set up but it should make future installations - particularly when reinstalling the OS - much simpler.

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
re: Almeza Multiset.

Yikes! At $99 USD for a home user license, it's a pretty expensive solution.  :tellme:

I could see it being useful for businesses or support organizations who can recoup costs via labor savings or service fees.  But at that price, it's kind of a waste for occasional or single PC use.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:05 AM by 40hz »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Heh - I won a copy.   8)

Still never did use it though. :huh:

Jim

InstantFundas

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Instant Fundas
    • Donate to Member
You can automate installation of software by using silent switches (use Universal Silent Switch Finder ) and AutoIT scripting tool. I wrote a small tutorial a while ago.

http://www.instantfu...lation-silently.html
Instant Fundas - Freeware reviews, Web Apps, Tech News

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Reinstalling all your programs is definitely the most time-consuming part of reinstalling Windows or whatever OS you are using; without a doubt! And a nice, easy way to automatically reinstall those programs seems like a great tool. I wonder though how much difficulty is involved regarding version changes, settings changes, etc. I would guess that many of the programs you have set to be reinstalled have had newer versions installed since you recorded the reinstallation app, plus in my case no doubt many of the programs that are installed at the time of recording are no longer installed by the time you need to reinstall the OS.

Could be more of a confusing mess than just reinstalling them all manually! Also, after reinstalling Windows is the time that I carefully reconsider just what programs I do and do not want installed anymore. If all your previously installed programs are automatically reinstalled you would have to then uninstall all of those. Could be more messy than I'd want!

Thanks!

Jim

Bionic71

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
total uninstall have a neat backup/restore feature
capture -> set -> backup -> and restore
i use that capturing/restoring minor installations,
it's pretty quick but lacks of batchrestore for multiple installations.
---
Prism Deploy - Emco MSI - ezMSI and the similar to recapture your programs? - to much work perhaps..
---
maybe you have a recent license for vmware or plan to upgrade?
until april you'll get a free personal license for thinapp when buying or upgrading vmware workstation.
vmware ran a promotion not very long ago for workstation, $129 i think it was (thinapp included).. i upgraded vmware not very long ago and i also got thinapp for free

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not customizable for your own commercial app installs, but this can still save a lot of time: http://ninite.com/

- Oshyan