ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Anti-Virus Package

<< < (15/29) > >>

iphigenie:
That's interesting, thanks.

Shows things seem to run in swings and roundabouts cause I uninstalled antivir from some of my machines after some bad test results in VB and places. I'm glad they're back at the top now, i like them as a company.

The basic of any protection is to drill common sense in the user and my mum knows not to open most attachments, and very often doesn't even open the valid but silly/fun ones her friends send her, so anti virus is the second line security. I mostly picked avast because it is least likely to panic her if/when it detects someone. AVG really has scary messages. And at the time i chose antivir free only offered manual updates and that's too big a risk (she forgets to run her backups and i have "no hands backup" so all she needs to do to start it is actually put the usb key in!)

PS: how many virus scanners do you run?
PS: it feels wrong to me to use a trick to bypass the nag screen. I don't like nag screens but I must say my trick would be to either not use it or pay for it

f0dder:
Well, with BitDefender, back when there were still Win9x machines, those would generally have a BSOD a day. The XP machines, with HT enabled, at least a BSOD a week. With HT disabled, no BSODs, but still weird behaviour during updates. Wouldn't recommend that software to anyone.

Good old ThunderByte AntiVirus, TBAV. It was a pretty nifty piece of software back in the DOS days, the first scanner I experience with heuristics support, and a powerful cleaning module (even if some versions could be tricked). Kinda lost it when moving to windows, though... they never really got there.

dk70: even if you don't download warezzz, visit smut sites, don't open suspicious emails et cetera, heuristics and an "always-active" (as opposed to manual scans only) engine is necessary. And it needs to have a kernel-mode driver and not just ring3 hooks. Otherwise, all it takes is one single exploit, and you're doomed.

Unfortunately, turning off java, javascript and moving away from IE is not an option at the museum.

wreckedcarzz:
Hey, (answering iphigenie)
Trend Micro 2007 is GREAT- I personally would not buy the full product (too many dialogs and after the user selects what to do it takes a moment to respond) however if this isn't a problem (if you mess with options or have a fast CPU) I would recommend it. I have the trial on my dad's laptop and I personally use their free ONLINE utility, Trend Micro Housecall, on my computer whenever I have troubles (it is online, free and ACTUALLY CLEANS; what more can you ask for?) I love it  :-*

dk70:
I still only have Avast and still thinking I should pay up for NOD32, alternatively Antivir because of lower price. Check subscription fee, can level out - Antivir wants you to pay full price for new subscription I think. Ive had AV set up in strange ways but this email thing got me back to real time shield. 99.99% of the time annoying waste of computer power but... So if Im convinced I should use real time I should also use the best - email story tells me that is AV with heuristic filter.

I used to have 2 AVs, always Avast but at some point also Bitdefender free edition. Normal GUI is terrible and even with no real time still requires hungry services running. I turned all that off since it also comes with a command line scanner, almost hidden and undocumented for some reason. Can autoupdate itself so an entry in XP scheduler makes it a good 2nd check tool. Think I used a batch file and got incomings checked with both Avast and Bitdefender through command line, no real time shield. I could use 4 or 10, security still stinks in "theory" because of no real time shield.

I read on Wilders forum nag screen "hack" was mentioned on their own forum. If not probably a violation of something. Nothing more than telling XP to reject a certain file to run.

What is "necessary" can be argued f0dder. This email attachment I had to warn those family members about because I knew it was suspicious. Did not need Antivir to tell me. Next time Im fooled and then heuristic is necessary for me as well, heh. Question of evaluating risk and perhaps bending security term. Many can compute happily with no AV Im sure but I have doubts about myself and Avast so should act accordingly - does not help much that virus targeted the bank I use ;) Will help speed up tearful good bye to Avast.

dk70:
Im testing Kaspersky right now! Have the feeling they might run off with the money unless it blows up during next few days. Would probably say the same if I tried NOD32 again but I like the extra "Pro Active" whatever stuff not available in NOD32, only takes a bit more setup. More or less like a Firewall with outbound control popups or application control.

So Ive disable office and http scanner module but Kaspersky does not really use that much ram f0dder - but you certainly feel cpu usage when scanning on demand. Ram usage also go way up while scanning. Ok, slow but great is better than the opposite. Resident part I dont notice, have enabled magical scanning so only changed/new files are interesting. Guess it works, after a total scan of course. I just did 447000 files in 2702 archives, took 52 min. :o More than once I thought Firefox had died but it was only Kaspersky working! I think they can improve "Concede resources to other applications" feature! May be a bug. All the GUI around events, stats, settings beats NOD32 but not so hard to do. Nice looking program.

Actually compuer could hardly boot after installing Kaspersky. Think it needed an update, known boot bug. After some clicking at warning pop ups (all those injection threads and suspicious registry calls are all over!) it boots smoothly. The "beta" section of their forum is either cool or scary, still fighting to get engine updated it seems. Open beta forum cant be bad.

Btw, not that Im interested but Zonealarm Internet Suite 7 also use this engine and should receive updates as Kaspersky delivers. Options will be limited of course but if stable may be really good value for 50$ http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/comparison.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=zassskulist2_comparison Possible better than Kasperskys own suite at 60$, using Outpost firewall I think. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version