ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Anti-Virus Package

<< < (22/29) > >>

Darwin:
I'm interested in what you might find about Sunbelt VIPRE - I've been meaning to try it out since they released a couple weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to it.

They have a very attractive home license price - $50 for 4 or more PCs.
-mwb1100 (August 23, 2008, 11:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this, coupled with the claims about a new paradigm in AV and AS software and speed are what attracted me as well. FWIW, on my wife's HP Business notebook (Centrino - single core, 1.73Ghz and 2GB RAM. WinXP Pro) it takes about 29 minutes to do a Deep scan of a 40GB harddrive vs. 3 hours 13 minutes to do the same on my Win2k machine (600 Mhz, 512MB RAM, 80GB harddrive that's only 20% full). A quick scan on the Win2k machine takes about 18 minutes vs. about a minute on my wife's machine.

tide:
I just switched to ESET NOD32. I like it because it's fast and had favorable reviews. I switched to it because AVG jacked up their prices too far (I had a two year license for it). NOD32 was less than half of what I would have paid to extend my AVG license. I'm happy with my decision.

Darwin:
Thanks, tide! So far I'm happy with VIPRE and with Webroot (I still have two years on a two machine licence)... I've read good things about ESET in the past - it may be time to take another look. I note that Webroot's latest engine, 5.8, does not support Win2k, though they still offer (and accept payment for!) an earlier version that does.

Josh:
Darwin, any update on this? How do you like Vipre? I am looking to trial it when I return home, and need to know if its good and fast. I will also check out webroot as per your current recommendation.

What do you think?

Darwin:
Hi Josh,

So far, so good with VIPRE. It's much faster now - even on the Win2k machine it scans in Quick mode in under 8 minutes and does Deep scans in under an hour. On my wife's XP Pro Centrino notebook (2GB RAM) it's blazing fast and is done before your even aware that it was doing anythin in quick mode (haven't observed it doing a deep scan on that machine). I *guess* it's been learning about the system? At any rate, I'm giving it the full 15 days before I commit to buying it, but at this stage I don't see any downsides to it. My only concern is that the hardware is a bit flaky, so I want to make sure that it's going to be around for a bit before I spend anymore money on it! NB that if you trial it, initially updates seem to take forever (10s of minutes) but that this, too, is much quicker now.

Webroot is great on both my now aging Centrino notebook (XP Pro, 2GB RAM) and my new mid-range Dual Core notebook (Vista Home Premium, 3GB RAM). Quick scans take under 15 minutes (usually about 11) and deep scans anything from 1 hour 20 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes. Both machines are quite usable during a quick scan while deep scans produce a more noticeable "hit" (though the new machine is still quite peppy).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version