topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anti-Virus Package  (Read 146040 times)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anti-Virus Package
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 07:43 AM »
NOD32 here at the moment, seems very nice. Used to use kaspersky, but it's a bit higher on resources as far as I can tell, and it's NTFS streams methods of making things quicker doesn't go along well with sysinternals' rootkit detector. I've licensed BitDefender for the museum I do computer stuff for, and it seems very good as well... except that it's not stable on win9x.
- carpe noctem

oBFusC8r

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Been using NOD32 for a couple of years now and at the moment I would not replace it with anything else out there. I actually have a license for Norton Antivirus as well that I got from work but that thing is not coming anywhere near my computer because of the bloatness.

Not only does NOD32 excel when it comes to heuristic detection, it actually rocks as well...well, according to ESET that is  :)

Check this out:

http://www.eset.com/...bout/nod32-rocks.htm

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 11:54 AM »
hahaha coool.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 05:16 PM »
I just recently switched from F-Prot to Nod32 and i'm very pleased with the change.While i had no software conflicts with f-prot the updates would take forever.For some reason the signature files would be in the range of 1- 2mb.When
i switched to nod32 it's more like 200-300 kb.Another thing with f-prot  that i can't put my finger on, maybe it was the
background monitering, i don't know, it really slowed down the reaction of my menus,i.e. start menu.

sinum

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I've been using Avast Home for about one year, painless update but no good Maleware detection. Give ClamAV a try for on demand scanning, free, fast signature updates but not ready to stand alone on Windows Systems. http://www.clamav.net/

In Germany C´T Magazine (02/2006 special Windows XP 8,50€ ) includes a 13 month update Licence for NOD32. I buy one 8)
.sinum.

4vrqrisPt

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Hi, I have been using Antivir personal for 6 months now,after I dumped Norton,which I found too bloated and too many processes running and a resource hog.
As was mentioned before,with the latest update to v7 no more nagscreen,at least for me.
Just a little notifier at the top of the screen.
Updates are fast and unproblematic.Mind you I have the update set to once a day at 10 pm EST (Canada/US,that's very early morning in Germany.)
Trying this during the daytime is not as fast.
Regarding scanning individual folders or files:At first impression it seems that you can't,not in the GUI,but on a r-click(extension menu) I can scan any folder or file no problem.
No POP scanning:Again no problem for me since I use a email pre-checker,plus what has already been removed by my ISP's virus scanners.
ALL in all, I'm quite happy with it,although I'm contemplating buying the Premium version:1.because it's cheap
and 2.because of their philosophy and the donation they make.
That's all for now.
Pete.

jldeshpande

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2006, 07:01 PM »
How is that,nobody has noticed that Avast updts are free upto June 2006 only.How it can be called a freewaee then?I am using it since @a year & happy with it,but what aft June 2006? ;D ;D

jldeshpande

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2006, 09:45 PM »
According to where I saw on their site. License keys for free updates last for 14 months after that simply re-register the home edition for free. Then that key will last for another 14 months and so on.

jldeshpande

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2006, 02:26 AM »

Thanks Mr.Hamradio!

Where you found it?If possible pl.display the URL.
Anyhow I shall try after @3 months.

Thanks once again.

J.L.Deshpande.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2006, 11:42 PM »
Its  from http://www.avast.com...kat_207.php?lang=ENG that says...

The license key is valid for 1 year. After one year you need to just re-register.

But...when I viewed this http://www.avast.com...rials/insert_key.htm it said 14 months at the end of the tutorial.

rosario

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 06:28 AM »

Freeware

avast! Home v4.6
BN rating: [4.6/5.0]
Pros: very low resource usage, very stable.  one of the only free AVs with x64 support.
Cons: slightly cluttered GUI.

Please where to download this version ? The url you typed lands on the version 4 download page and I can't find the 4.6 version you said . . .

R.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Just stumbled on this review over at PCMechanic of NOD32.  Great Anti-Virus program, if you don't mind spending some money.

http://www.pcmech.com/show/reviews/914/

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2006, 02:41 AM »

Freeware

avast! Home v4.6
BN rating: [4.6/5.0]
Pros: very low resource usage, very stable.  one of the only free AVs with x64 support.
Cons: slightly cluttered GUI.

Please where to download this version ? The url you typed lands on the version 4 download page and I can't find the 4.6 version you said . . .
Just click the URL that you quoted :D
http://fileforum.bet...st_Home/1034566665/1

Btw, I like this AV a lot!  :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Are F-Secure and F-Prot completely separate companies?  Not just F-Secure being a re-packaged version of F-Prot with more features?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2006, 10:52 AM »
UK members might like to look at the latest edition (dated June 2006) of Computer Shopper, which has a review of anti-virus packages.  Very briefly, they rated them as follows.  Ratings take into account accuracy of detection, where F-Secure, Kapsersky, Steganos and NOD32 were best, but also cost of purchase, cost of renewal, features and interface.

5   Kaspersky
5   Steganos 2006 (*)
4   Trend PC-cillin 1.4
4   McAfee 2006
4   F-Secure 2006
4   AVG Free Edition 7.1
3   ZoneAlarm AV 6 (excluding the firewall)
3   Norton 2006
3   NOD32 2.5
2   Bullguard 6.1
1   Panda Titanium 2006
1   Avast! 4.6 home edition

(*) Steganos is a re-packaged Kaspersky with less features, but very cheap.

URL for the magazine is  http://www.computershopper.co.uk  though I don't think they post the magazine article.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2006, 11:04 AM »
Good question - my guess would be the same company but... *shrug*
- carpe noctem

crookit

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2006, 04:37 AM »

I'm currently using NOD32 as I find it's effective & light on resource.

bobdec

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2006, 09:17 PM »
I have read all the posts here and https://www.donation...index.php?topic=1444
The general opioion seeems to be that Nod 32 is best without hogging resources.
I personally have been using Avast for about 2 years and am pretty satisfied with it as a free program.

I find it strange that no one has mentioned EZAntivirus from computer Assoc. I just heard about it from a friend who had many viruses embedded on her computer. The guy repairing her computer used to work for CA and he claims that EZ is the best product available and used by large corperations.
Check out what topsecret software had to say"
 http://www.topsecret...com/ezantivirus.html
Here is a link for the software special 2 year subscription for 19.95
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Has anyone tried this AV program?
Bob

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2006, 05:14 AM »
I'm not sure where EZ Antivirus came from (and I have never tried it) but CA bought up PestPatrol and ruined it as far as I am concerned and so I would use their products again. PestPatrol was a great app before that but basically they stripped out all of the options and removed almost all user control over what is going on.

Just my personal bias I suppose.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2006, 09:06 AM »
I'm using F-secure and pretty happy with it.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2006, 04:29 PM »
EZ Antivirus (eTrust) was mentioned several times earlier. We use it in my office on all our machines and it works great. Low resource use and no viruses in 3 or 4 years of use there. But most there aren't heavy users either.

Honestly I think it's pretty hard to pick a single winner or even a top 3 or something when there's so much variation between choices. First off there's so many different criteria. That most recently posted ranking had NOD32 way down the list, presumably for interface or cost reasons, but if you took into account performance, Kaspersky would surely not have been number one (rank 5). So first it depends on what criteria you take into account.

The other thing is that there are very few particularly accurate tests done on this stuff! You have to ask what the testing organization is using as test material, whether they are scanning only infected files (but not an infected machine, if that makes any sense), or whether they're actually purposefully infecting a machine with an active virus. That's a huge thing because a virus embedded in say a .dll that doesn't get activated should be cleaned easily by most antivirus programs. The real trick is whether it will continue working and properly clean an infection after it occurs. This is the hardest thing to deal with I think. I recently had to clean off a customer's machine that was totally riddled with viruses and it took no less than 6 security programs, from NOD32 (trial) to Ewido anti-trojan, several online scanners (bit defender, etc.), spybot, adaware, and other anti-spyware apps, etc. And eventually I still had to get in there and manually delete some stuff with Unlocker. It was messy. :D Now you may ask how a properly protected system would get to that state? Well, let's say someone accidentally (or stupidly) turns off their antivirus, or it crashes, or what have you. The circumstances are rare, but they're worth considering.

Also it might be worth distinguishing between which is a good *detection* system and which is a good *cleaning* system. A lot of apps can detect many viruses but not necessarily clean them all for example.

In any case properly reviewing and ranking A/V software is tricky. :D

P.S. I personally use AVG and have been very happy with it. No problems in 3 or 4 years of use. I've used Avast in the past but I frankly hate its skinned interface and which they just shipped with a bog standard simple one. I haven't tried Antivir for quite some time but apparently it's the best of the lot for pure detection.

- Oshyan
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 04:32 PM by JavaJones »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2006, 03:56 PM »
I see that CompuServe use ClamAV, which is Unix-based GPL software.  Windows ports are coming, more details at http://www.clamav.ne...inary.html#pagestart

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2006, 10:59 AM »
I think this category (antivirus programs) will be a very difficult one to review, partly because it's difficult (and risky) to have more than one program installed on a machine at a time.  And the installing/uninstalling of the programs is not always the simplest process.  So whoever is (will) review these will need some help from those of us using the different programs, like this thread is doing already.

I'll give my input on the ones I've tried.  Years ago, I used to use Norton (before I was picky).  But when the bloat bothered me, I looked for another one.  So after Norton, I tried a few products like Kaspersky, F-Secure, F-Prot, Panda, Avast, McAfee...I think that's it.

Norton sucks, as most of us know.  They have a Corporate edition that my old company used to use, which actually wasn't bad.  But it's not for consumers like us.

Kaspersky is good, it's what I use now.  It can be a little resource heavy compared to others, but not enough to annoy me yet.  Before I knew about it, what intrigued me about it was that it was universally agreed that it had the best detection method.  The current version cleaned up the interface and made it more user-friendly (and a little lighter on resources if I'm not mistaken).  The interface is still a little complex for the uninitiated user, but I have no problem with it.  I mean, you can't have tons of features and still keep the interface super-simple.  Another thing I like about Kaspersky is the feedback you get of what it's doing.  There's a live log window and statistics for every little thing, and I love that.

F-Secure was my alternative to Kaspersky in case it ever got too resource hungry.  Scot Finnie picked F-Secure as his AV of choice, discussed in this DC thread:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4652.0
F-secure is nice.  It's more user friendly than Kaspersky, and for all practical purposes, just as effective in detections.  The reason I like Kaspersky better is because F-Secure doesn't offer as much feedback and statistics.  It kind of just does the job (well, I might add) but only notifies you if bad things happen.  In Kaspersky, you can see a log of every file it scans, the result of the scan, and other information.  I like that, because I'm very nosy.  F-Secure also installs something like 12 processes, which freaks some people out, but I never noticed it affecting my machine's performance.

F-Prot is a program I tried once because it sounded like F-Secure.  It turned out to be decent.  The interface was a little weird because each thing was it's own window; it was kind of modular.  I think NOD32 is modular also, but I've never tried it.  F-Prot seemed like a nice, simple, effective program.  Not much feedback, not too many options, but it did the job.  I think I recommended it to my sister who doesn't spend too much time with the computer, I don't know if it's still being used.  Anyway, it was too simple for me, and if I remember correctly, it had annoying notifications when something was detected that couldn't be customized.

Panda...I tried this out just a little bit.  It was too bubbly for me.  Looked like an AV program for kindergarten kids.  But it's pretty good from what I understand.

Avast...I tried Avast out for a short time.  I was looking for a good free program at the time.  It was decent.  It had good customizability, and it functioned well.  Nothing too special as far as I was concerned.  You can skin it.  Why anyone would want to skin an antivirus program is beyond me, but you can.  It's like skinning a defrag program...what's the point?

McAfee...CRAP!  I hate McAfee.  My mom bought a laptop recently that came with it and it was pure crap.  It has a crazy interface that's bubbly and looks simple, but it's pretty non-functional.  And you have to register online (with a password and login) to use to program.  I think it was for downloading updates and new definitions?  Anyway, it was junk.  There was no way to turn it off, and there was always some notification for something popping up.  And uninstalling was very very difficult.  I hate that program and won't ever give it the time of day ever again.  I was going off about it to my supervisor a week ago when I found out he used it at home.  Apparently, he didn't have to register for anything, so maybe I just had a bad experience.  But I remember clearly how much I disliked that program.  And this was fairly recently, like a couple of months ago (McAfee Internet Security 2006 or something).  Oh man!  I just remembered that my computer here at work uses McAfee Viruscan Enterprise.  But that one's not so bad.  I still hate them.

So those are my mini-reviews.  I don't agree with Scot Finnie's assesment of Kaspersky, I've never had those problems with it, but maybe he uses his computer in more complex ways than I do.  (Here's a link to our DC discussion of that:)
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=4652.0
By the way, I don't concern myself about the details of the detection engines of the different programs.  Honestly, I feel that any of the major AV programs will provide good enough protection for me.  For me, it's more of an issue of UI, customizability, resource use, feedback, etc.  I never get caught up in the debates of how certain tests are performed and analyzed, etc.  I know a lot of people here love NOD32, and I trust their opinion.  I've never tried it, but if I ever had problems, it would be first on my list to go to.  From what I've experienced and heard, my recommendations for AV programs (for powerusers) are:
Kaspersky, F-Secure, NOD32

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2006, 11:08 AM »
Excuse me if it's already mentioned, Kaspersky is #1 according to thourough series of tests by virus.gr.

http://www.virus.gr/...asp?id=82&mnu=82.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I notice AOL Active Virus Shield is no. 2 on that list
Anyone know is there a catch to that being free ?? (well, AOL ...)
Tom