ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Anti-Virus Package

<< < (21/29) > >>

Darwin:
So... what are people using now?! It's been almost a year since this thread was updated, and that is a lifetime in AV and AS detection and removal technology.

At the moment, I'm running a trial of Sunbelt's VIPRE on my Win2k machine. I've completely given up on Bitdefender 2008 as it is a resource hog and takes on the order of 3 hours to perform a Quick scan (even on my brand new Dual Core notebook with 3GB RAM). I am currently running Webroot AV with AS on that machine and on my XP Pro machine.

I discovered VIPRE because my wife's IT department replaced AVG Corporate with it on her notebook and, having just gotten my Win2k machine operational again, I'm looking for a lightweight AV and AS solution for it. Only installed it yesterday but so far it seems good, albeit after I tweaked it (as per suggestions here). Webroot is still great on both my other systems. Light on resources and scans quickly. It's slipping in the virii detection stakes though, and they no longer have attractive licensing options available (as compared to Bitdefender, Sunbelt, and others) - there are no longer any options allowing you to upgrade from a 1 system licence to a 2 or a 3 system licence cheaply, that I can see. I also need something that will run under Win2k on a very low spec system, and I'm not sure Webroot will do it. Besides, if I'm going to have to spend $30 (or more) to licence it for my Win2k machine, I might as well explore my options!

So, what is the state of play for people around here? And, anyone else trying, or tried, out VIPRE?

Enquiring minds want to know.

EDIT: added link to Sunbelt forum posting on VIPRE CPU utilizaiton

CWuestefeld:
Just upgraded to Kaspersky 2009, planning to update last year's mini review once I've got some experience with it.

Darwin:
Thanks, Chris  :Thmbsup: I'll take a look at it.

Darwin:
Crap. Kaspersky 2009 no longer supports Win2k (though I can't find a definitive answer to whether or not it will RUN under Win2k...). This is an increasing problem (finding AV and AS solutions for Win2k)... maybe it's time to retire Win2k and load Linux on this machine  ;) Of course, VIPRE supports WIn2k, so we'll have to wait and see how this trial goes.

mwb1100:
I'm interested in what you might find about Sunbelt VIPRE - I've been meaning to try it out since they released a couple weeks ago, but haven't gotten around to it.

They have a very attractive home license price - $50 for 4 or more PCs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version