ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I'm so old, I remember when people paid Microsoft to use their software

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
Nokia CEO and recently former Microsoft employee Stephen Elop did the deal for Nokia. (He worked for the company for only two years, but became its 7th largest shareholder?!) Oh well, just another wall to the internet: choose your shackles: Apple, Google, Microsoft, et al. This ain't about software, this is about the future of charging customers for every single move they make with their devices and the right to advertise them to death.

Microsoft to pay out 'billions' as part of Nokia deal
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9209259/Microsoft_to_pay_out_billions_as_part_of_Nokia_deal

Nokia CEO Elop Denies Being "Trojan Horse" For Microsoft
http://www.businessinsider.com/nokia-ceo-elop-denies-being-trojan-horse-for-microsoft-2011-2

Renegade:
Well, it will hopefully put a third player in the game. Symbian is dead. Has been for a while. We need better competition to get the mobile world moving. I for one will be very happy to see Nokia and MS get into the market. (My bias is entirely because I want to see better ways of doing things get better adoption/penetration. i.e. The CLI. C++ is ancient and needs to die.)

Eóin:
What about C++/CLI?

Also, I really love C++ as a language, especially with the new 0x additions, it's just so elegant.

f0dder:
C++ is ancient and needs to die.)-Renegade (February 14, 2011, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---
No, but people need to use the right tool for the right job. Many who are doing C/C++ should probably be doing C# instead (or not be programming at all), but saying that C++ needs to die is is stupid; you just don't get the same kind of computational performance in C#.

housetier:
For me it is the end of Nokia as a respectful company. For a while it seemed they really where into Maemo: we hosted the first Maemo conference at c-base.

And it was nice to have a manufacturer that seemed to encourage playing around with their hardware; N900 is an example of that.

But for my prejudiced eyes it seems Nokia will become another subdivision of Microsoft. And that is quite repellent for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version