ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Front Page

<< < (3/9) > >>

mouser:
I think the idea of the front page as a set of "top 10" tables pointing to content on the site is appealing.  Like a table of 10 most recent coding snacks, 10 most recent mini reviews, 10 most recent big software updates, 10 most recent blog entries, 10 hottest forum topics, 10 most recent forum posts, etc.

The only concern is that it would be too chaotic..

timns:
Doesn't have to be top 10...

Top 5, or Of the week / Month

Top rated, Top voted... that feels more interactive too.

What would be nice is that more of DC's content gets an airing - I think that's important.

skwire:
The only concern is that it would be too chaotic..-mouser (February 13, 2011, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

And a TON of work to keep it up to date.  I'm just sayin'.  =]

40hz:
I think I'd like anything that didn't make it look so much like a Wordpress blog.

Because right now...it looks just like a blog.   :)

I also don't think the main landing page should be super big on dynamic items such as lists and tables. The homepage is really more needed for new visitors than it is for regulars. The regulars already know what's here and how to get to it.  With new visitors, it's more important (IMO) to have a predictable and fairly static navigational starting point. Ideally, it should give a quick intro to what the site is about, and provide an overview with clear links which invite the visitor to explore further. Think map rather than dashboard.

Once inside the front door, it can be as dynamic and interactive as deemed appropriate.  

Just my 2ยข

Paul Keith:
I also don't think the main landing page should be super big on dynamic items such as lists and tables. The homepage is really more needed for new visitors than it is for regulars. The regulars already know what's here and how to get to it.  With new visitors, it's more important (IMO) to have a predictable and fairly static navigational starting point. Ideally, it should give a quick intro to what the site is about, and provide an overview with clear links which invite the visitor to explore further. Think map rather than dashboard.
--- End quote ---

+10 or as the web marketers say..."landing pages" not "homepages"

Since March is when Sandy Bridge gets re-released, I thought I'd go check out Intel's site:

Today is so Yesterday: http://www.intel.com/?en_AP_00

and then going to their "busy" pages they have tons of screenshots with things grouped together.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to start an organizational structure not from the perspective of a category but of a "suite". Maybe even start with pre-packaged zips like many of the AHK zips all grouped into one and then just later on provide single download files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version