ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

New tweaks to forum - Jan 27, 2011 (apc caching, server load info)

<< < (3/3)

worstje:
Doesn't work for me. I guess it does not support Opera. :(

mouser:
Remember to look at the bottom of forum pages if you find pages loading really slow for you.

We have been complaining lately to Softlayer (the hosting company) about a known problem on their network which is causing packet loss and real slowdown of page loading for lots of their customers at their Seattle data center.

And the one real way to tell if the slowdown is related to the DC server being slow or a wider network problem is to look at the "Page time" entry at the bottom of a forum page -- it shows how long it took the DC server to create and serve a page.  That will normally be < 1second.  If that is short and it took a long time for the page to load in your browser anyway, then you know the problem is not on our server but on the wider network.

Ath:
it shows how long it took the DC server to create and serve a page.  That will normally be < 1second.  If that is short and it took a long time for the page to load in your browser anyway, then you know the problem is not on our server but on the wider network.
-mouser (February 17, 2011, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
That probably doesn't include the load-time of any graphics on the page, like embedded images and user-avatars. I get page times often between 0.02s and 0.04s, but the entire page can take up to 10 seconds to load. Mostly depending on the amount of graphics, IMHO.

mouser:
The page time displayed on the bottom of the page is how long it took the server to create it and send it to you.  The real time it takes you to get the page and all of the elements has to do with network speeds,etc.  That's basically what I'm trying to point out -- a way for you to tell if the problem is specifically with our server (if the Page time listed at the bottom of forum pages is high), or something else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version