ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

March 2011 DonationCoder.com Fundraiser Celebration -- Ideas for Special Events?

<< < (2/16) > >>

mouser:
1. "Who gives a buck about DC?" whereby every member vows to donate at least $1, and earns a badge
--- End quote ---

I think your idea of encouraging everyone to donate (at least) 1 dollar could be the most important basic idea.  As we've often discussed, the problem for sites like ours that depend on optional donations, is that people cannot get past that initial stage of resistance that prevents them from donating.  I don't think the issue is the money -- i think it's the work involved, and the general unwillingness to perform a financial transaction unless they have to.

If we could just find a way to get people to take the leap of faith to make a donation, regardless of the amount, i think it would be so healthy for the site, but also bring many people in from the shadows who would enjoy being part of something and enjoy being one of the people that actively support the site.

But getting people to make that leap is hard.

f0dder:
or even ironically celebrate someone who just got on everybody's nerves... ;)-timns (February 11, 2011, 09:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Now who could that be? :huh:

wraith808:
Some dangerous ideas:

* Could we pull together enough DC coders to do a Coding-Snack-A-Day throughout all of march?

-mouser (February 11, 2011, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Could we get pledges per the NANY event (coding snacks, whatever) ... and people pledge support to the ideas?

i.e. you have pledge 1...n ... and if someone likes pledge 1, they pledge a certain amount towards its completion to go to DoCo.

A sort of code-a-thon.

Just an idea...

timns:
I like it. Where do I pledge?

Another idea: can we do some sort of auction for goods or services? I'd be in for that.

mahesh2k:
Indian freelancers (non-credit card holders) are getting screwed by both paypal and government. This is the last month for me to buy,donate anything online using paypal stored money (unless i get credit card which is not possible because i'm doing freelancing). So instead of next month, i'll consider making donation this month. :) Keeping problems aside, is there anything i can do from graphics side ?

I mean designing stamps, envelopes, mug or ipad skin design for DC shop on cafepress or zazzle ? That is also one good way of raising funds. I don't see any zazzle store, mouser can you create one ? I'm sure existing cody logo and graphics can be used on some seasonal items for sale at zazzle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version