ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Considering a Hackintosh - Anyone Try it yet?

(1/1)

edbro:
I'm considering building a Hackintosh but I've never messed with Macs before. The build/install seems to be pretty straight forward and the software can be gotten cheap from Apple. I figure, if worst comes to worst, I could always turn it into a Windows machine. Would a Hackintosh work as well as a real Mac?

Is there enough freeware out there for a Mac that I don't have to spend another thousand on software?

40hz:
You have LibreOffice and all the Mozilla stuff available for OSX, so your basic productivity needs are covered. A Google on "Macintosh freeware" should give you some places to start. I know MajorGeeks, Tucows, Opensourcemac, FreeMacware, and a bunch of others will all be there.

Might want to look at available free software before you commit to a build.  :)

Luck!

Addendum: unless you're fascinated at the thought of building a H-Mac why bother? For the same money and effort you could do up a very sweet home server. Just a thought... :mrgreen:

edbro:
Addendum: unless you're fascinated at the thought of building a H-Mac why bother? For the same money and effort you could do up a very sweet home server. Just a thought... :mrgreen:
-40hz (February 10, 2011, 05:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't need a server. Why do it? Because I could have a Mac for a lot less than Apple would charge.

40hz:
If that's the case - go for it!  ;D

Just be careful and follow the recommendations for the make and model of the mobo you get. Some are better for a hackintosh project than others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version