ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

In search of ... Disk Doctor equivalent & image analyzer/verifier ...

<< < (3/4) > >>

f0dder:
shades: but does MHDD do logical consistency checks, or is it "only" a hardware diag tool?

barney:
... but does MHDD do logical consistency checks ...?
-f0dder (February 11, 2011, 01:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hm-m-m ... would you define logical consistency?  There are multiple defines for that term.  I have my own concept of it, of course, but that concept may not resemble yours  :o.  A quick search revealed more confusion than clarification  :P.

f0dder:
barney: there's two major things you'd want to check for:

1) hardware failures (things like S.M.A.R.T or "drives that go clunk in the evening")
2) filesystem corruption - a "logical" (as opposed to hardware) issue

Shades:
@f0dder:
MHDD checks the hardware, but shows you the bits of the hard drive that are (too) slow and/or have a hardware problem. And there are a lot of those...which Windows and SMART just report as "bad".

barney:
Finally got MHDD downloaded - what can I say, I'm slow  :tellme:.

I like the idea that it is a live product, so the OS isn't interfering with the testing.  I'm going to try it out as soon as I can get everything set up.

But I'm still having trouble with the corruption part.  I know of three (3) different [software/activity] causes for that - likely there are more -

* there's activity from other software while files are being written
which could be from any number of TSRs/services that I wot not of
* there's OS activity while files are being written
maybe preventable, maybe not
* there're memory/cpu issues while files are being written - hardware related, but not HD related
(and could include cables & transfer speeds). 
(There's also the possibility of brown power or power fluctuations, but that/those can be filtered with a decent UPS.)  But I don't know of anything, or any group(s) of things, that could truly check that - methinks Heisenberg would step in  ;D.  So I'm looking for - analytic? - software that can, at least semi-reliably, point to such issues.  I'm just having a damnably difficult time finding such  :P.

Granted, I'm probably being overly picky in the latter respect, but there seems to be cause:  three (3) different, widely - and successfully - used software packages seemed to fail me.  Under other circumstances, I'd be inclined to suspect hardware, but pending further investigation, other circumstance has pretty well obviated that element.  So I'm back to trying to check image validity <sigh />.  I feel as though I'm trying to hold back the surf with a broom  :P :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version